question for etienne or anyone else in the know.......

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I really want to wish you the very best of luck! Keep us posted with how things went on the day, and of course the outcome :)
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Thankyou :D

Good or bad, my appeal result is going on here.

Fingers crossed for you too, really hoping for the best outcome for you :D
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

My notification letter for appeal states that I can bring a locally elected politician with me as long as it doesn't lead to 'conflict of interest'.

How beneficial would it be for me if I could get a local county councillor to come with me for my appeal hearing (I am aware though that they wouldn't be able to speak on my behalf) and how would they be able to support me?
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

That is a brilliant question and I would like to know the answer to it too :-)
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I can't see how this can benefit you as they can't actually do anything during the appeal.
I think that this is a case of how you can benefit them. :roll:

Surely it's better that you stick to the facts of your case rather than potentially have it watered down.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Tracy wrote:I can't see how this can benefit you as they can't actually do anything during the appeal.
I think that this is a case of how you can benefit them. :roll:

Surely it's better that you stick to the facts of your case rather than potentially have it watered down.
How would having the elected councillor water down the appeal?

I was advised by HT to contact ours and would be attending alone so am curious if their 'support' albeit impartial might be of use, if only to be an extra set of ears for me to ensure no irregularities have taken place?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Surely you want the panel to study the facts of your case and not be influenced by the attendance of someone who has no training/expertise in appeals panels.

How would a politician know whether the appeal procedure was correct or not, no more than the average person in the street would?

The appeals panel may even take the view that the case must be weak in order for a politician to attend.

You know your case better than anyone else. You will do better without a politician's attendance.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

I was also strongly advised to contact my local councillor.

I know that they can't do anything at the appeal hearing, but surely it can't go against me?

It would just be for moral support as I am going alone, and as T12ACY mentioned, if only to be an extra set of ears to ensure no irregularities take place.

I am aware that it would benefit them (what with the elections coming up), but how could it water down my case - could it go against me somehow? I certainly don't want to do anything that would have an adverse effect. :?
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Why would a reasonable case become weaker just because a politician may be there?

Locally elected politicians for education should surely know about appeals and what is involved, and I can't be the first to ask for a politician to be there for an appeal hearing either, so they would have had first hand experience too.

Antoher question to ponder - who decides what goes in the Admission code and the Appeals code of practice?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Frustrated, I'm trying to look at this from an appeal panel's prospective.
To win an appeal the evidence must be overwhelming that the child should be awarded the school place. If the politician turns up with you, he/she could turn up with every other case. So how would you be advantaged by them attending?
I'm playing devil's advocate here, it seems to me that the panel could take it that the evidence is weak and that having the politician there is an attempt to force the panel into making a favourable decision. Just my opinion.
I would take along a trusted friend or family member for support and focus on the facts of your case.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now