Questions about appeal on this Monday

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi GM (sorry to have called you Guest before)

I'm afraid you won't be able to submit any evidence after the appeal, so you will have to simply explain the allergy problem. Again, keep it simple, and only offer it if you are asked. The panel may not ask you about the 112.

Yes, the VR scores are very well worth mentioning. They will probably not have been standardised, so the panel will only give a certain amount of weight to them, but they are very comfortably over 121.

The Head should have noted the VR scores on the front of the appeal sheet - are they on there? If not, is there time on Monday to ring the school and ask for them to be emailed to you - then print the reply email 6 times.

DP - you're doing a fine job - keep it up!

Sally-Anne
GM

Post by GM »

Hi Sally-Anne and disappointed mum, thanks.

I checked headteacher's sheet, yes the VRT scores and other test scores are listed on it.

I will let you know how things go later.

Thanks again for your reply.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi GM

Glad to hear that we helped you - I was looking for your reply, and it popped up while I was answering other posts.

GOOD LUCK!

Sally-Anne
GM

Post by GM »

My appeal hearing went smoothly. There is only one person from LA, three are representive independent panel?

I didn't ask any question after LA's presentation because she only listed the facts in the packet. After my presentation, the panel asked me several questions. Like what the child do after school? What's the reaction when the child knew the score? What did the child say after each tests?

I did my best anyway, thanks for all your help. I will let you know the result later.
Bubbly

Post by Bubbly »

Hi

We have our appeal on Friday, like everyone else going through the appeal both my husband and I can think of anything else.

I was just wandering whether anyone can give us any last minute tips. Just to reiterate, our son scored 2 x 120, no extenuating circs, Head recommendation is 2:1, level 5 predictions and top 25% for both maths and English. Only concern is that out of 80 odd children in year 6, only 21 were ranked, our son was not. Out of 21 ranked only 11 passed, total passes were 14, so 3 passed who were not ranked.

We have not had opportunity to talk due to her being unwell and not at school.

Any further advise would be really appreciated.

Regards

Bubbly
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

He should have been ranked with a 2:1 recommendation.

If asked about it say the Head is absent unwell and you have been unable to discuss it. The fact that other unranked children passed is good!

Were all the orger ranks 1:1 or 1:2?
Bubbly

Post by Bubbly »

Hi

Yes all the children that were ranked were 1:1 or 1:2.

I just hope this does not go against us during the appeal.

Bubbly
GM

Post by GM »

Chose some exercise books to show the panel if it is possible. I think that can show the child's ability at least. I brought my daughter's homework book. My daughter has two Maths certificates, so I brought them as well. I told the panel my daughter likes painting, so she does some painting after school at home and they asked me what kind of paint my daught does.

Does you son speak another language? My daughter does. I have a feeling the panel want to know the whole image/abilities (personality?) of the child, but particular the academic part.

My daughter got 1:1 recommendation, so no any question about that from the panel to me. My daughter is ranked as 6th, there are 4 children ranked before and after my daughter passed. (In total there are 8 children passed out of 40).

Good luck Bubbly.
GM

Post by GM »

I just got the letter from council to inform us our appeal is sucessful. I am so glad and tears went down.

Thanks Jesus! Thanks this forum and every warm-heart people here. I wish all of you good luck!
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

GM, fantastic news, am so very pleased for you and especially your daughter!

Warm regards x