Appeal heard today

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiredmum

Re: Appeal heard today

Post by tiredmum »

Hellybeds wrote: I still believe that the appeal panel thought we had not gone to review, hence the acceptance of evidence etc.

Just found this regarding appeals at chatham boys on he who cant be named website

Many parents appealing for the school already had additional stress because of the complex rules surrounding the Review process, which means they have to prove the Review unfair before their academic case can be considered.

This really is stating what you tried to do at your appeal - prove the reveiw system unfair - maybe they didnt know about your reveiw? :roll:
Hellybeds

Post by Hellybeds »

Hi, just to let you know that the final submission went in to the Ombudsman today. If this is unsuccesful I understand that there is still a further process you can follow to challenge the Ombudsman's decision. Having reviewed all of the paperwork again and again.... we really are in the lap of the gods. We know that we were prevented from asking questions about the review process but we cannot prove it, I suggest parents who go through this next year record their appeals as proof. We have also identified that the clerk from the appeals panel has said in his letter to the Ombudsman that NO additional evidence was asked for in advance or referred to in the appeal. Yet, in his letter prior to the Appeal, we were informed that we could submit evidence and an evidence pack was submitted by recorded post, received and referred to by the Chair and the other panel members during the appeal.

Something to bear in mind for future review/appeals is that you do not actually get to question Medway Council; hence the unfairness. How can you attempt to prove a review is unfair when the only person who reports on the actual process is the representative from the Admission Authority (the school) and not the Council. I advise parents to skip the review and go straight for the Appeal, that way you can present your case with some level of fairness.

We will be raising this with our local MP and push for a meeting with Medway Council. The 11plus exams will continue but there has to be a fairer, clearer process that has to be followed.

Hellybeds
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Hellybeds wrote:If this is unsuccesful I understand that there is still a further process you can follow to challenge the Ombudsman's decision.
It's a Judicial Review at the High Court. The Ombudsman can not change the result of an appeal, just (as an extreme) recommend a fresh hearing with a new panel. A High Court Judge can overturn the decision on the lower court (i.e. an appeal panel). Not many cases go to High Court - it would have to be a very serious case of misjustice.

I know of cases where the original appeal has been a text book case, no errors at all, yet the parents take the appeal to the Ombudsman because they can - they don't like the panels decision (rather than the panel doing anything wrong). That's not what the Ombudsman is for. Not surprisingly, the Ombudsman finds nothing wrong with the appeal, and the parents have just had a few more months of agony and anger.
Hellybeds wrote:I suggest parents who go through this next year record their appeals as proof.
Recording the appeal will not record the panels discussion after you have left at which they may decide that your piece of crucial evidence isn't actually worth much in their equation!
I advise parents to skip the review and go straight for the Appeal, that way you can present your case with some level of fairness.
If I lived in Kent, I'd be inclined to agree. Of course, there will be oversubscription to prove if going straight to appeal.

In many ways, the Kent 'Informal Review' is what used to happen when I was a nipper in Surrey - half of the places were allocated by exam results, and the other half by 'interview' - staff from the local grammars went to each school to interview the children who didn't pass, and study their work (and no doubt look at the permanent records held by the schools back then). They also met the children who did pass, but (luckily for me) couldn't turn down a place for them because of messy work! I feel that that was a fairer system - they were experienced teachers and knew what child would fit into a grammar - and it was before the days of being coached for the exams!
We will be raising this with our local MP and push for a meeting with Medway Council. The 11plus exams will continue but there has to be a fairer, clearer process that has to be followed.
Yep, there sure is a fairer system. It's called fully comprehensive. No exams to be sat or argued over. But there are still loads of appeals for non-grammars, but just on oversubscription grounds (unless it's a comp that takes x children from each ability band to ensure an even ability mix - at least with that method coaching has no benefit).
Capers
Hellybeds

Post by Hellybeds »

Thanks Capers, we are questioning the process adopted by the appeals panel. We were prevented from questioning the review process and were also allowed to provide evidence at the appeal which we are not actually allowed to do (as per guidance received by Medway Council). As for the recording, we wish we recorded the open session. We have no inclination to hear what is said in a closed session, that is the right of the Appeal Panel. What we are questioning is the Clerk's report of the hearing which is littered with factual errors and is not a representation of the hearing I attended. The copy of the hearing that was sent to the Ombudsman was different to the copy we received and a number of significant changes had been made; these have all been highlighted.

I agree that the system is unfair and that fully comprehensive's (with grammar streams) is perhaps a good way forward. However, this will not change and Medway will refuse to change their process. I have written to the Education Department at Medway to request a meeting on their process. I feel someone needs to do something to give the parents in Medway a fair hearing, that is all I want.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

good for you helly - i admire you for what you are doing. I live in the medway and agree the process is ludicrous - well i would if i could spell it! :)
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Hellybeds wrote:I agree that the system is unfair and that fully comprehensive's (with grammar streams) is perhaps a good way forward.
Quite often, the streaming is done on reports, CATS & SATS scores from previous schools. One thing to ponder is if your child isn't allocated to the 'A' stream at a comp, what right of appeal have you then? You can argue with the teachers & head until you're blue in the face, but there's no appeals panel to go to.
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now