First Appeal Declined

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jingle

Post by jingle »

Thanks for that :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'd be wary of saying he doesn't have a school, they might think you're trying to emotionally blackmail them and it could put their backs up.
Precisely! I'd be very cautious. An appeal panel could react quite badly to feeling pressurised (It's not unknown for panel members to think "I'm not going to be 'blackmailed' just because they've rejected the school that's been offered.") This is most likely to happen if you go out of your way to raise the issue of not having a school.

On the other hand, as Snowdrops suggests, if they ask about the allocated school in passing, it's fine to answer, but let them gradually draw the information out of you. Just be sure not to appear too negative, and preface any remarks with "We really haven't come here to criticise the other school ......."

The sooner the focus returns to the school being appealed for, the better.
Etienne
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

and from a selfish point of view I really wouldn't mind if it (being a "Canterbury" tax payer) if they were super selective given his scores!
If he scored VERY highly, then certainly worth a mention! I think that if you play it right, and relate it to your son the IB would stand out a mile, as I am sure this is something that is not offered at the allocated school?

So far then, we have the languages, the IB in relation to this, high scores (therefore my child particularly suits the type of education that this school offers - if you want to use this), and this is something that is not offered at the allocated school? Which languages do they offer that the other school doesn't? If you don't already know, find out everthing that you can about the IB and relate it to your son, also any after school clubs that relate to his interests.

BC have just 3 lessons a day, and finish at 2.40, giving plenty of time to attend after school activities and still be home at a reasonable time for homework. I believe that they like their children to attend as many after school clubs as possible? Is he actively involved with extra activities at his current school? Represented the school in any sports?

I am not trying to write your appeal for you, and certainly have no expertise, just giving you a few ideas.
becs1

Post by becs1 »

just a bit on info on this school, oversubscibed, with 60 people appealing for a place this year!!!! You really will need to stand out from the rest. A very daunting prospect for all of us appealing for this school!!!
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

60 appeals for 1 place????? OMG!!!!
Bundie1975

Post by Bundie1975 »

Right ho...I'm still not completely au fait with putting in those quotey bits etc...am better than ranting that the technical side on this forum lol!
I didn't mention which school we were allocated and I didn't mention that we had turned it down, the choice advisors told me not to and they said that the school would have no knowledge of where we had been offered (seems like misinformation I've received now though!) I did in my appeal letter mention his scores and that he not only is academic, but also enjoys his piano...grade 2 and that he participates in Rugby (which is of no consequence to the next appeal as they don't do much sport at all unfortunately!)
I think on the point that A school has been offered is slightly misleading - I am only working on the fact that I have never met/heard of anyone who has got their Grammar Test and not been given a Grammar school - I think you will find that the overrriding majority of appeals are based on people not liking their appointed Grammar - in my case this is not my point to prove.
Frustrated your point about the IB is definitely one I will labour - in fact I think that will have to be our main line of attack as it were :?
I have today had my letter informing me officially that we were declined on our last appeal and that less than 20% of appeals were sucessful - am I right in believing I can contact them and get details of their reasoning (read this somewhere on this site I'm sure?) If so will the school be able to furnish me this? I really don't think I will take the matter any further (i.e omburdsman) but I feel I need "closure" on this - god I feel like a member of the Oprah audience :lol:
Further advice gratefully received....thanks for putting up with my rants :oops:
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

You will get the same information as the Panel... our appeal included the letter to say DS had not passed the KT and also the offer of a school.

I think it would be wise to find out as much as possible and link in to the IB.

Also thought that the letter had to tell you what points had been considered in making the decision? Etienne would be able to help out here.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

You should have got a formal decision letter, signed by the chair of the appeal panel telling you exactly what was and was not taken into consideration when reaching the decision that they made. They must give you an explanation, not just the fact that your appeal was not successful.

As for ranting, you rant as much as you like, if it's helping then go for it!

Like you, I have never met anyone who has passed their Kent Test and not been given a grammar school place before now, and neither has my son's primary school, or anyone else I know for that matter! That is because last year, they were offering grammar school places that were too far away, so by changing tact this year and putting our kids into the nearest 'all ability' school instead, this has thrown everything up in the air.

I still can't take in the fact that there are still children out there who have still been unable to secure a grammar school place! Makes a mockery of the whole thing really!
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Is this for BC in Canterbury?!!

That is A LOT!!!!!
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

frustrated wrote:
Is this for BC in Canterbury?!!

That is A LOT!!!!!
I am pretty sure I misread and it is not 60 for 1 place but for a place, not a statement of how many but a fact that there are 60. Typical of me and I apologise!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now