Support for people who have lost appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Etienne wrote: We would be less than responsible, however, if we failed to caution that:
(a) It can be a very long and very stressful route to take.
(b) There are only limited grounds that the ombudsman can consider (usually a procedural fault so serious as to cause an injustice).
(c) You may find yourself disagreeing with the ombudsman's view of exactly what 'constitutes a procedural fault so serious as to cause an injustice' - and therefore finish up more disenchanted than ever .........

I've not kept precise figures, but (a) some of our past posters have successfully gone to the ombudsman and subsequently won a re-hearing with a different panel, (b) some have successfully gone to the ombudsman but lost their re-hearing, (c) some have had their complaint turned down eventually, and (d) some have become quite ill in the process .........
I agree entirely, it is a very stressful process, but you know what? A year on from the actual appeal, 6 months on from the ombudsman's report, I am still here grumpy about it, but if I'd done nothing I would still be grumpy about the injustice, so I may not have won anything, but I haven't lost anything, either. It may not give you the answer you were looking for, but if you think the procedures were not adhered to then you should take it as far as you can, in my opinion :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

T12ACY, I have followed your posts, and never contributed to your thread as I would have had nothing useful to add, but do feel that you have helped and supported others and it would be a shame if you left.

I was in a similar position to you last year, not in the appeal sense (we decided not to) but in the fact that my DS missed the GS of our choice narrowly. Others on here passed, and initially I thought I would clear off as, firstly, it had served its purpose and secondly, I might get cheesed off listening to stories of the success of others. As you see though, I am still around - not because I think anything I say is much use to anyone else, but because it is quite an interesting and stimulating place to be sometimes.

I am truly sorry you lost your appeal; but (and I say this some months down the line from our disappointment) sometimes things happen for a reason; and usually there are compensations in a situation which at first seems bleak. You are so right when you say that life is not fair, and we usually end up fitter and stronger for knockbacks. Some of the most discontented whingers I know are those who have had everything on a plate, and everything falling into place at first go. Your DS has a very supportive Mum behind him, and that is so much more important in the end than which school he goes to.

Best of luck; and please don't quit!
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Amber wrote: I was in a similar position to you last year, not in the appeal sense (we decided not to) but in the fact that my DS missed the GS of our choice narrowly. !
Amber - Would love to hear on this thread how your ds is doing in his new school now its a year down the line :?: :)
Amber

Post by Amber »

tiredmum wrote:
Amber wrote: I was in a similar position to you last year, not in the appeal sense (we decided not to) but in the fact that my DS missed the GS of our choice narrowly. !
Amber - Would love to hear on this thread how your ds is doing in his new school now its a year down the line :?: :)
Thanks tiredmum (that's me today) - don't want to hijack the post, but just to say, he doesn't start till September. We were all set for him to go the local comp when he rather unexpectedly got a decent academic scholarship for the indie we put down as our reserve choice (slightly out of catchment for comp). It was amazing as we told him, truthfully, that the scholarship was given largely on the basis of him as a person, all-round, and not just what he could do in a VR paper (all we have here in 11+). To be honest if he had got into the GS we wanted and then been offered the scholarship, I am not sure what we would have done, as we both preferred the indie by miles, just thought we couldn't afford it. Only one child is going to that school from his primary, and he is glad to be rid of him too, so a couple of hours on the school bus each day with him would have been interesting! So, when I say things happen for a reason...

The proof will be in the pudding, of course, but we are all feeling positive. Thanks.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I personally think the support kids get from parents really helps to shape their future. We are currently working against all odds doing the 11+. Everything seemed to have been stacked against us from the start for reason I cant go into detail here and littered with potholes.

You can certainly support them wherever they end up and I am sure your kids will go further in life with that level of support. Even though they didnt get the place you fought for I think you have instilled a skill in your child that they will live with forever that they need to be a fighter. The reality is in life sometime we win and other times we lose and sometimes our kids need to know this harsh truth to prepare them for the dog eat dog world we live in.

There has been a lot of sad news in this section and it helps us in the wings to have a reality check and think of other possibilities that may happen. Our our kids may end up at that school we dont quite like. I am going to keep my mouth shout and not be negative about some local schools to my DD from now on. Hard as it may sound but there is a chance she may end up there and its because of you guys who have shown us that this 11+ can be ruthless nomatter how well and good our intentions are.
Impossible is Nothing.
katel

Post by katel »

It's really important not to be negative about any school in your area anyway, partly because your child might end up ther, but also because some of their friends certainly will!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Looking for help wrote: ..... I may not have won anything, but I haven't lost anything, either ....
You were right to complain, LFH.

As a result of your efforts, the panel/clerk eventually learned from the Information Commissioner what we thought all along - that they were wrong to deny you access to the clerk's notes. After a year's delay it was only a moral victory, but one that should benefit others.
Etienne
panickingmum

The process really does need improving!

Post by panickingmum »

Hi all,

Not sure if a failed section would be useful and I can sympathise with knee-jerk reactions about not coming on to the forum. I for one couldnt face this forum for many months. I believe in moving on if you can and if my DD was happy in her non-GS school I would have done it even though I know she could flourish in GS.

I went down the LGO route and I am very very cynical about that process it is hugely "guilty until proven innocent" and even though we could prove that the LEA made mistakes we got nowhere. We had an apology from LEA but quite frankly that means absolutely nothing to me. And yes I am still very bitter about it.

We then went down the 12+ route and still dont have a GS place, being on the edge of catchment the waiting list isnt going to work for us so we are back to appeals. I feel we have a super case but with appeals being so airy fairy and subjective we are in the lap of the Gods.

I dont know how exactly but I feel the guidelines for the IAPs should be more stringent. It is wrong when one child from a school doesnt get through and another from the same school scoring lower and much less recommended does. The teachers said it was unjust but because they are all dealt with separately and by different panels this can easily happen. I know of someone who got through on appeal with 110 and yet 120s dont!! It depends on the day who you get and really is like the toss of a coin.

PM
Moving on

Post by Moving on »

Likewise, I will continue to stay on the forum to help others in any way I can. It was a life line during the appeal for our 1st choice GS which was unsuccessful. That said, this whole forum is a wealth of knowledge, support and it is amazing how Sally-Anne, Ethiene and many other contributors give up their time to help people that they do not even know.

Fortunately our DD got into our second choice GS but I still log on to the forum for information and knowledge sharing. By so doing, I feel that I am giving something back as this forum was there in our time of need.
T12ACY

Re: The process really does need improving!

Post by T12ACY »

panickingmum wrote: I dont know how exactly but I feel the guidelines for the IAPs should be more stringent. It is wrong when one child from a school doesnt get through and another from the same school scoring lower and much less recommended does. The teachers said it was unjust but because they are all dealt with separately and by different panels this can easily happen. I know of someone who got through on appeal with 110 and yet 120s dont!! It depends on the day who you get and really is like the toss of a coin.

PM
I found it remarkable that the HT supporting statement outlined during the assessment referral students with scores lower than DS got through on her appeal. The opinion of the HT was it had to be as DS is a very messy writer, because there was ntohing else to explain it.

With the IAP they were up against it and I didn't do as well as I should have during the hearing. Easy to say after the event!

The decision letter does say 'In reaching their decision the panel decided that although DS had good general ability and character, on balance this did not outweigh the evidence of the score'. Almost like dangling a carrot, they accepted the argument of ability but the single test was stronger?! Did they accept it or didn't they? All the evidence I produced was of higher scoring CAT tests and you can't achieve higher SAT levels! Enough to drive you insane is't it?!!!! :twisted: