twins

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mutley

twins

Post by mutley »

Dear Etienne

Your site has provided fantastic information and guidance over the past few weeks which I thank you, although there is alot of information I could not find any information about twins going through the 11+.

We have an older daughter who is in year 8 at grammar school and twins daughters who have just sat the 11+ of which we had the scenario of one passed and the other did not.

For ease i will call them twin 1 and twin 2, twin 1 was expected to pass and twin 2 not, so it was quite a surprise when twin 2 passed and twin 1 did not. In the familiarisation tests twin 1 scored higher than twin 2 and in the VRT in year 5 in which the head teacher bases the ranking, twin 1 was ranked 8th and twin 2 ranked 10th in a cohort of 39 of which 8 passed. Twin 1 got a score of 113/112 had a ranking from the head of 2.1 and "strongly recommended" for grammar school, even the year 5 teacher stated that she 'will coast' if at an upper school. She has given up her spare time since being in year 4 to be a peer mediator to help children less able, and elected by her class as a school councillor. She is predicated level 5 SATS and ranked in the top 25% in English and Maths.

We had an extremely stressful time as a family as my mother passed away unexpectedly in June 06 followed by their grandfather having a heart attack the week of the first exam. This as you can imagine added a lot of stress to the family. Within our appeal we had our doctors letter "stressing the psychological affect on splitting the twins" as they have always done everything together from birth. When it comes to homework they make great homework buddies and converse so well on all subjects.

The appeal panel's decision regarding the twins is to split them up at secondary level. They have spent such a happy time together from birth, playgroup and primary school that we are all sad that their school life together is to end so soon. If they were so far apart academically indeed we would not have appealed for a grammar school place for twin 1 and would recognise that grammar school would not suit both of them but we know it would.

Unfortunately twin 1 has taken the decision better than twin 2 but it has left a very hollow feeling. I appreciate that twin 1 did not pass with the correct 121+ but welcome any comments from any one who has been through the process with twins and viewpoint from Etienne.

Apologies for the war and peace effort!

Thank you
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Apeeal panels are only human and can get it wrong!

You have some options:

(a) do you think everything was done 'by the book' at Appeal? If not go to the Ombudsman

(b) Is there additional evidence that comes to light? Exceptionally you can have a second appeal but the evidence has to be something unknown at first appeal

(c) Go for the 12+. My child did and is very happily settled, other friends children have also gone this route. 7 Grammar schools had places in Y7 this academic year so they may even end up together.

Do not give up - you know your children best!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Mutley

Thank you! I don't recall any questions about twins on the forum before - will add something to the Q&As next time we revise them.

At a selection appeal against non-qualification, a twin's case has to be decided on its own particular merits, irrespective of the other twin. The criteria are clear:
1. Are the extenuating circumstances sufficient to explain the shortfall in marks?
2. If so, is the overall academic evidence sufficient to indicate that under normal circumstances the child should have passed?

Generally speaking, the further away from the passmark, the less likely the appeal is to succeed.

Having a twin is more relevant at a transfer appeal when the school is oversubscribed. ("They couldn't bear to be parted," "It would be logistically difficult for us to get them to two different schools," "Here is a letter of support from our GP warning of the emotional consequences of splitting them up", etc.) Sadly, these are not issues that can really be considered at a selection appeal.

Regards
mutley

twins

Post by mutley »

Many thanks Etienne and Guest55 for your comments we take on board what you have both said.

We have told the twins school the outcome of our daughter's appeal as they were strongly supporting our case and both the head and class teacher have recommended that she should try for the 12+ as they still firmly believe she should be at a grammar school. If this is an option for us and as we understand it the 12+ test is the same as the 11+ test but taken in year 7, but the time allowed to do the test reduced by 5 minutes. Is it correct that the 12+ and indeed the 13+ tests are prompted by the upper school during the child's first year/second year? Does anybody know when and where they sit the test?

We would welcome some advice on this if anyone can help.

Good luck to all appealers out there.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Mutley

Happy to discuss the Bucks 12+ but I think it would be more appropriate in the Bucks section. I hope my reply there will be of some help.

Regards
Etienne
mutley

twins

Post by mutley »

Dear Etienne

Thank you for your response I will look on the Bucks page, sorry for posting 12+ on the wrong page - my head is all over the place right now but hopefully normal service will be resumed a.s.a.p.!