Evidence to accompany Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jane & Francis

Evidence to accompany Appeal

Post by Jane & Francis »

Our son obtained scores of 119 & 120. The Headteacher's report is very supportive, with 3 predicted level 5s, so we have submitted papers for the Appeal, minus examples of his schoolwork.

We have been given a date in January 2007, and are now trying to compile supporting evidence for the panel.

Our concern is that his schoolwork is not necessarily of a high enough standard, as we have been unable to find examples without errors in spelling, grammar or punctuation.

Does anyone have experience of going to appeal without putting in examples of marked schoolwork? What other types of evidence are likely to impress the panel? (eg references from sports coaches?)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Jane & Francis

Firstly, may I suggest that Forum Admin move this post to the "Appeals" section, where it now belongs, even for Bucks-specific appeals?

Your son is in a good position for an appeal with 2 scores close to the pass mark, plus support from the Head.

I hope that will be compelling enough in itself, along with your appeal letter and other evidence, and you were right not to submit examples of schoolwork with the Appeal submission. They are only expected at the appeal panel itself.

The panel will not expect perfect spelling, grammar and punctuation at this age. There are very few children who achieve that standard at age 11+ (or for some years beyond in many cases!)

I faced the same dilemma last year at my child's appeal. My best suggestion to you (with the benefit of hindsight) would be to produce two or three of the best exercise books from the 3/5 core subjects - (Eng/ Math/ Sci/ Hist/ Geog) and flag one or two very good pieces of work with post-it notes, as the panel will have very little time to look at the books. The "flags" may help, but on the other hand they may encourage the panel to look elsewhere - you can only try to guide them to the best work that your son is capable of.

Photocopied "selected" work is generally not considered as good evidence, and nor is computer printed work, as there is no evidence as to who produced it. (One could argue the same on homework really, but that's a discussion for another day! :wink: )

I would not try to amplify the evidence with references from sports coaches or others at this stage. You have made your academic case, as has the Head, based on the evidence. Seek to re-state that case briefly and effectively at the appeal panel.

If, by talking to class teachers, you discover any other important evidence that should be submitted, such as a previously unknown exam result or test result, ask for a written statement.

Otherwise, just work out how you will present the evidence you have already submitted to the panel.

Best wishes - and good luck
Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Jane and Francis

If you are new to the forum, could I suggest you start by reading the Q&As? -
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... nswers.php
Sports coaches are mentioned in B25!

Other threads on this page will also provide a lot of useful information.

Regards
Etienne
Nervous Mother

Evidence for the appeal

Post by Nervous Mother »

Dear Etienne,

I read in a previous post that we should bring 6 copies of everything we bring to the appeal for each member. I'm a bit confused. With my appeal letter I also sent in my daughters year 5 report, both of her previous scores for Year 4 and 5 verbal reasoning and a copy of the head teachers appeal. The only things I planned on bringing to the appeal other than my presentation are my daughters examples of her school work. Should I make copies of her Year 3 and 4 school reports as well and distribute them? Also would the board like to see big projects (Egyptian)? I know you recommend keeping it short and sweet, but I don't want to miss anything important.

Thank you.
Nervous Mother

Evidence for the appeal

Post by Nervous Mother »

Dear Etienne,

I read in a previous post that we should bring 6 copies of everything we bring to the appeal for each member. I'm a bit confused. With my appeal letter I also sent in my daughters year 5 report, both of her previous scores for Year 4 and 5 verbal reasoning and a copy of the head teachers appeal. The only things I planned on bringing to the appeal other than my presentation are my daughters examples of her school work. Should I make copies of her Year 3 and 4 school reports as well and distribute them? Also would the board like to see big projects (Egyptian)? I know you recommend keeping it short and sweet, but I don't want to miss anything important.

Thank you.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear N.M.

If you bring any new evidence with you to the appeal (other than school work), then it's a big help if you have 6 copies available - enough for 3 panel members, LA representative, clerk, and yourself to look at at the same time.

The trouble with my even mentioning the words "new evidence" is that everyone starts to worry "Oh dear! Now I've got to find some new evidence to take with me!"

I'm not suggesting that you should or must have any new evidence with you, but it sometimes happens that, for example, the headteacher decides to write a short letter, updating his original report. (This is more likely to happen with a few of the later appeals, where the child's work has shown a recent unexpected improvement.)

In a few cases an ed. psych report, which wasn't available before, is now available for the panel. Because of its length it's best to send this in to the clerk at least 4-5 days before the hearing, and she will do the photocopying and circulate to everyone in advance.

As far as schoolwork is concerned, it should never be photocopied. My advice would be just to bring exercise books for English, Maths and Science. I would avoid bringing anything that has been specially selected, such a projects.

Panel members are rarely desperate to see schoolwork, but because it's mentioned as a possibility in the appeal booklet, everyone starts to think it's compulsory and that they must bring as much as possible!

I don't think it's usually necessary to bring year 3-4 reports unless there's a good reason (e.g. to show how much better your child's work was then, before extenuating circumstances occurred in year 5).

Finally, I would suggest bringing a spare copy of your presentation, and handing it to the clerk at the beginning of the hearing. The clerk will be very grateful because it will save him/her struggling to note down everything you say. It will ensure that there's a full and accurate record of your presentation on the record.

Hope that's clear, but don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.

Regards
Etienne

Post by Guest »

Dear Etienne

What do you mean by presentation?? I've posted the appeal forms with a headteachers summary. I didn't have any further evidence as susch. I'm getting a little worried now. I was going to attend that appeal and answer any questions they had for me. Are you trying to say that I will have to stand up and talk for a few minutes to present my case. Do I have to take some sort of portfolio with me???
Worried
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Worried

Yes, you will be invited to "present" your case.

Most people just read through their letter of appeal or something similar.

The appeal panel will, I know, already have looked at your letter of appeal sometime in the previous 6 days - along with many others - but it's important that you remind them of what your case is all about.

Regards
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest

The format of the Appeals panel is as follows:

The LEA Rep will introduce you to everyone in the room - themeselves, the clerk to the panel (who takes notes of the discussion) and the three panel members. You will all be seated around a table.

The LEA Rep then states the standard LEA case, outlining your child's results and ranking, and noting any special needs. The Rep will conclude that the child is therefore not best suited to a GS. I must emphasise that this is a standard statement, not prepared for each child other than in the facts of the marks, etc.

You then have an opportunity - no more than 5 minutes if possible - to highlight the key points of your case as stated in your letter to the panel. You remain seated at the table throughout. You may wish to only take one minute to re-state the key facts. For a more complex case, up to 15 minutes is acceptable, or if you are introducing compelling new evidence.

It is helpful if you can give the clerk a copy of the points you will be making to save them having to write it all down at the time, and they can also refer to it afterwards to ensure that they have included everything you said.

Then the panel will ask you questions - they will always ask questions, even if they are entirely convinced by your case.

Once the questions are over, the Chairman of the panel (one of the 3 members) will ask you if you feel you have had a fair hearing. You will then hand any schoolwork to the panel, and you and the LEA rep will leave the room. The LEA rep will wait with you while the pajnel look at the schoolwork. After a few minutes the clerk will bring the schoolwork out to you, and you can then leave.

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the very informative post. I'm starting to tremble at the knees.
Worried