1. 2007-08 admission appeals statistics were published at the end of October. (Unfortunately appeals for selective schools are not shown separately.)
The main findings from todayâ€™s 2007-08 admission appeals statistics are:
â€¢ 61,950 appeals heard â€“ 3.6% of the total 1,717,180 admission offers in all primary and secondary schools
â€¢ 19,150 appeals heard were decided in parentsâ€™ favour â€“ 30.9% overall
â€¢ Overall, the proportion of appeals heard has increased from 3.3 in 2006/07 to 3.6 in 2007/08, with successful appeals falling by 3.5 percentage points
â€¢ 22,220 appeals heard â€“ 2.1% of the total 1,059,190 admission offers in all primary schools
â€¢ 6,190 appeals were decided in parentsâ€™ favour â€“ 27.8% overall
â€¢ Overall the proportion of appeals heard has risen 0.4 percentage points since last year while successful appeals have fallen 4.4 percentage points
â€¢ 39,730 appeals heard â€“ 6.0% of the total 658,000 admission offers in all secondary schools
â€¢ 12,970 appeals were decided in parentsâ€™ favour â€“ 32.6% overall
â€¢ Overall the proportion of appeals heard has increased by 0.1 percentage points since last year, while successful appeals have fallen 2.7 percentage points
All parents have the right to appeal to an independent panel if any school they applied to does not give them a place. The appeals process is completely independent of Government, local authorities or schoolsâ€™ own governing bodies.
This press notice relates to 'England'
1. Admission Appeals for Maintained Primary and Secondary Schools in England 2007/08 is published at: http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/rsgateway [easier to go straight to: http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/rsgateway/DB/SFR ... ndex.shtml - Etienne]
2. Local authority level data on School Applications and Offers on National Offer Day 2009 is published at: http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/pns/DisplayPN.cg ... =2009_0050
3. The mandatory School Admissions Code and School Admissions Appeals Code is at: http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/sacode
4. The Parentâ€™s Guide to Admissions, published in April, sets out the appeals process: http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/sacode
5. School Admission Code came into force in February 2007 for admissions from the 2008 school year, builds on the ban on school admission interviews for parents or children imposed by the Education and Inspections Act 2006. A revised Code came into force in January 2009.
6. School Admission Appeal Code (came into force January 17 2008). All admission authorities, governing bodies, admission forums, schools adjudicators and appeals panels now have to adhere to the mandatory School Admission Appeals Code previously they only had to have regard to it. A revised Code came into force in January 2009.
Public Enquiries 0870 000 2288, firstname.lastname@example.org
Press Notice 2009/0204
2. Digest of ombudsman cases (scroll down to 'education' and select year)