jingle

Re: For the appeals box

Post by jingle »

Thinking of you and really sorry about the disappointing news. x
MrsK40

Post by MrsK40 »

Hello Panicattack,

Hope you are OK and I am also still thinking of you......... not long now 'til the summer holidays and a nice break from school. Take care xx
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

oh PAttack i am so disappointed for you all :( - i know how hard you worked on this and apart from you being sad for your child i know its also difficult to have put so much effort into a project and it not worked out the way you wanted.

I do think though that alot happens for a reason - might not seem that way now but in a years time you may look back and be happy the way way things have turned out. One thing i do know for sure is you are a great positive mum - and what does that mean - well your child will natrally be great and positive too! Good luck to you all. :)
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

So sorry to hear your news PanicAttack. I know exactly how you are feeling as we lost our appeal too.

Good luck to you and your DS - thinking of you.
Ogremum

Post by Ogremum »

oh bum, I was on holiday last week and missed this - :(
As they all say, your son will do great and be a credit to you X
panicattack!

Post by panicattack! »

Thanks so much everyone! It has taken weeks to come to terms with the news! I knew when we were in there after about 5 mins that the panel were not interested at all! I have received so much support from everyone on here thanks so much indeed!

When we received our letter it was just before the induction day for the allocated school and I had such cold feet and negative feeling that I called and told them we weren't coming! I will now lurk from time to time in the Indie section, as that is where DC will be going to school, but will come back and visit this one tooo.... not sure if I can face putting my experience up yet tho but will do at some stage I am sure.

When I lurked this evening I found there were some sad disappointments and some wonderful news and successess. Well done to all who were successful.

Things do happen for a reason and maybe the offer under my nose (which I thought wasn't good enough and so pursued an appeal) was the right course after all. And maybe I would not have been happy with that choice if I hadn't had to succumb to the emotional rollercoaster of an Appeal to show me where DC should be. Upshot is one happy DC and happier parents (it is not perfect but a great deal better than it could have been!)
panicattack!

Post by panicattack! »

PS wine and chocs have now replaced Dukan diet..... Got to shift the 1 1/2 stone I put on!!! :shock: Maybe a new thread in the everything else section about dieting could get us all emotional and competitive!!! :shock: :lol:
MrsK40

Post by MrsK40 »

Panic Attack, Am so glad you and DC are settled now - I want to say, so very very well done for going through all the appeal process and I am so very sorry that it did not turn out the way you had hoped - it is such an achievement, just to have put yourself forward for something like that. I am still shocked by how emotional the whole thing is - the whole gigantic build up to the day and the utter devastation afterwards. I know it's hackneyed, but you know your DC will do well, because they have your full and unstinting support and encouragement. Good Luck with everything and best wishes :D
panicattack!

Post by panicattack! »

Mrs K40 you hit the nail on the head you really did! Having been off the forum for a while I was able to calm myself down. The option we now have is a good one for my DC and not a million miles away from where we were hoping, so I am relieved. When I came back to the forum a day or so ago it brought it all back and made me really upset again but I read some of the "lighter threads" and felt that it could all go behind me and yes HE will do well where he is going and yes you are right, I have survived and found support in a difficult time.... to me it just adds more weight to the old addage: that a problem shared is a problem halved and that if I hadn't had the forum and the support I wouldn't have tried I would have wondered "have we gone down the right path???" Thanks Forum!

I don't think I could offer much help to anyone going to appeal in the future apart from the fact it is incredibly stressful, research, research and research some more, read this forum and know it inside out and backwards BUT be prepared, if on the day they don't seem that interested in your case.... they probably aren't so prepare yourself for a disappointment. Not encouraging I know but realisitic maybe? And it probably echoes the 11+ plus in the first place.... you can practise as much as you like but if your DC has a bad day there aint much that can be done :)
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I think your last sentance says it all.... we can all have a bad day, which extends to the hearing we have to attend if our DC wasn't able to perform to their true ability for whatever reason. It really isn't for the feignt hearted and can lead to a quite devastating time if it doesn't work out how you hoped. However most parents will say they needed to do it otherwise there would always have been the 'what if' in the background eating away.

Not sure which is worse though? Not doing it and wondering if your DC was worthy or going through a tough hearing, knowing the panel have pretty much made up their mind, and getting the dreaded rejection letter!!
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now