Drawing to a close?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

blessing

Post by blessing »

Hi, DM

Good luck with the result, I am glad it's almost over for you. I have few more weeks for mine.

Blessing

Post by Guest »

Suki
Congratulations to you and your child. Thnakyou for sharing your good news. As previous users have said, the forum is going a bit quiet now, however there are a fair few appeals yet to go including ours. It is goood to hear postive news.
Would you mind sharing your experience and you said that your child wasn't ranked. I thought this was compulsary now and headteacher had to rank them according to the grade given for recommendation and attitude?????How did you come about the 2:1 if he wasn't ranked??????
Sorry to ask but i'm more confused than ever.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Suki

Thank you. Most Bucks appellants would give their right arm to have 2x120, but it doesn't automatically guarantee success, and you were wise to be cautious.

Many congratulations
Etienne

Post by Guest »

Do they reserve a few places at grammar schools just in case an appeal is suceessful?I would have assumed there are no places left for those in an appeal situation.Can someone please enlighten me.

thanks
Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

HI Suki,

Hurrah! Great news. Its good to see the successes coming.

Guest1

PS. Our appeal is next Thursday
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The '121' is adjusted each year to roughly match the number of places minus a certain margin - the '121' can't be fixed higher than the number of places available!!

That is why the standard [ie the numberof correct answers /80] isn't the same every year.
HP

Post by HP »

Congratulations Suki,

Your son must be very proud of you!!!! :D

HP
Suki

Post by Suki »

Hi Everyone

Sorry I havent been able to reply earlier....computer glich!

Firstly thank you to everyone for your kind words and yes it is a relief. My thoughts are with everyone who did not get the result they hoped for and I wish everyone who is waiting the best of luck.

Our son was not ranked, as our headteacher had only ranked 20, however a letter was sent to the LEA from our head explaining that although our son was not ranked, he was in the top 30% in year 6. I am not sure if this is what helped our case or not. To be honest, after reading some of the results on this forum, I am confused as to what the panel are looking for. I would like to say that our appeal panel were very patient and made us feel at ease, which really helped.

We are hoping for Burnham Grammar, but the main hurdle is over.

Thank you to everyone again.

Suki
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Suki

Many congratulations to you, and well done! I hope you get the BG place you are hoping for.

Guest 1 asked the following:
Do they reserve a few places at grammar schools just in case an appeal is suceessful?I would have assumed there are no places left for those in an appeal situation.Can someone please enlighten me.
The school allocations are not made until late February once appeals have finished. All children whose appeal has been successful are therefore thrown into the wider melting pot.

Obviously what can happen is that a child achieving 141 but not living close to the school could have their place usurped by a successful appeal child who lived closer to the school.

Sally-Anne
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

Hello Sally-Anne
I'm sure you don't mean it that way but using the word 'usurped' makes it sound like the (hypothetical) child who got 141 has more right to the place than the successful appellant! Since the places aren't allocated until all the appeals have been heard, a child who passed the 11+ doesn't actually have a place at a school at this time. Having your appeal accepted means that the panel consider your child to be suitable for grammar school, just like a child who passed the test. Surely no one would resent a 'appeal' child having a place or consider they were less deserving in some way?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now