Clerks notes recieved

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Claire,cp

Post by Claire,cp »

Thanks for your comments, we know its a long shot even though we think the decision was outrageous! Do you know what exactly is maladministration? Is it actually 'things being written wrongly' in the notes, or can it be ignored or dismissed evidence,.We feel that the panels interpretation of our daughters school work as 'very poor' demonstrates maladministration as they clearly haven't looked at it properly and have also said there were'many unflattering comments by the teachers' on it, which there weren't at all.That must be maladministration?
Bucks Parent

Unsuccessful Appeal - Mark of 120

Post by Bucks Parent »

Our Appeal also was unsuccessful due to my son's English book (written work).

The chairperson up held the appeal and supported this by bringing up all the positives - Score of 120, 1 below, Head teacher's report, OoS, Very academic year group (26 out of 35 passed), predicated SATS's 3 x5, NVR 141 and concluded on written work showed some mistakes in English.

Whereas the other two ladies refused it on his written work.

We had supporting evidence that my son had deficiency in his phonological and phonic knowledge which is why English is not his strongest subject.

Like the Chairperson said there were a few mistakes.

Any comments would be appreciated - I am visiting the school tomorrow to see if they can help with our complaint.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Claire,cp wrote:Do you know what exactly is maladministration? Is it actually 'things being written wrongly' in the notes, or can it be ignored or dismissed evidence,.We feel that the panels interpretation of our daughters school work as 'very poor' demonstrates maladministration as they clearly haven't looked at it properly and have also said there were'many unflattering comments by the teachers' on it, which there weren't at all.That must be maladministration?
Technically maladminstration is where the ombudsman declares publicly that there was a significant fault in the process which led to an injustice.

'Things being written wrongly in the notes', or 'ignored or dismissed evidence' may or may not be significant, and may or may not have led to an injustice.

If the panel's comments about the school work were clearly unjustified, and if there were no other valid grounds for refusing your appeal, then it seems to me you have good grounds for a complaint.
Etienne
Etienne

Re: Unsuccessful Appeal - Mark of 120

Post by Etienne »

Bucks Parent wrote:Our Appeal also was unsuccessful due to my son's English book (written work).

The chairperson up held the appeal and supported this by bringing up all the positives - Score of 120, 1 below, Head teacher's report, OoS, Very academic year group (26 out of 35 passed), predicated SATS's 3 x5, NVR 141 and concluded on written work showed some mistakes in English.

Whereas the other two ladies refused it on his written work.

We had supporting evidence that my son had deficiency in his phonological and phonic knowledge which is why English is not his strongest subject.
Were there comments from the teacher in the English book that justify the conclusion reached by the two ladies? Or do you think they were giving their own opinion of the work?
Etienne
Bucks Parent

Post by Bucks Parent »

These are the comments in his book, so you can judge for yourself

Please watch spelling and puntuation errors - rec'd grade C
Well done - rec'd grade A
Good effort, watch presentation and proof read - rec'd grade B-
Well done Excellent use of paragraphs and good content - rec'd grade B
What a great story, well done, beautifully presented too! - rec'd grade A-

Super work- rec'd star
Good work
Well done watch your handwriting
Super work, well done - rec'd star
Well done
28/30 - well done
21/21 - well done, pls watch how you contruct your sentences

One other thing, one of the ladies noted that he was in Next 25% for Engish- problem area.

When the headmaster and put this down in his report, he added a note to the panel "Please consider when evaluating these percentages that *** is in a very able year group. 26/35 boys succeeded at 11plus".

Could this not be considered as Maladministration ??
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Your panel member had the same problem with interpreting percentages as one lady on ours did! She just could not understand that an able cohort could have nearly 75% achieving 121+ and over 60% on course for level 5s.

I have said elsewhere that more teachers need to be involved - they would not be so easily swayed by untidy writing! It's the CONTENT that's important ...

The ombudsman gave up in our case because he could not get the answers to the questions we asked ...
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

According to the code of practice, panel members (be they teachers or not) should not be trying to assess school work, which was the reason for my question.

Being in the second quartile for English should not be a problem in a high performing school, so I doubt whether this in itself would be a valid reason for refusing the appeal.

I would want to be satisfied that the lady in question was not giving her own opinion about the work, had taken into account the evidence relating to the deficiency in your son's phonological and phonic knowledge, and had noted the headteacher's warning about the significance of the second 25%.

Whether or not there has been a significant fault would, I think, depend on whether the ombudsman thought that the lady in question was being fair and rational in drawing the conclusions she did from the teacher's comments, and whether she had other, valid reasons for refusing the appeal.

On the information available, it looks to me as if it would be worth pursuing a complaint.
Etienne
Bucks Fizz

Post by Bucks Fizz »

Etienne & Bucks parent,
We decided not to take any English books with us , as the only criticism our child had ever got was poor handwriting. We focused on the other outstanding academic evidence we had - mainly maths work. It isn't compulsory to take any work is it?
The middle 25% in a small cohort of bright children should back your case - but is it grounds for the ombudsman??
Bucks Parent

Post by Bucks Parent »

Thank you for your responses.

Etienne - you stated that acccording to the code of practice, panel members (be they teachers or not) should not be trying to assess school work.

I've reviewed the code of practice and can't find any mention of the above. Can you tell me where about I can find this information or do you know this through your own training ?

Regards
BP
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear BP

Page 37 of the code: "The panel should not attempt to make its own assessment of a child's ability."

A panel clearly has to take a view about a child's ability, based on all the evidence.

However, it seems to me that if the lady in question was assessing school work herself, rather than noting the teacher's assessment of it, this would be a breach of the code.

Regards
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now