yesterdays appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
njg

yesterdays appeal

Post by njg »

We had a lovely panel. All ladies of a certain age. My husband said that he thought he'd crashed a WI meeting!
The LA rep was rather odd. A bit like the character in Vicar of Dibley that says 'yeah, yeah, yeah, no,! He stank of smoke and said very little apart from the fact the he felt the broken arm thing was merely a hiccup - very helpful.
They gave very little away of course. They didn't try to catch us out and seemed very sympathetic of our cause.
They spent 10 minutes at the end perusing work.
Who knows?

Am i right in thinking that they have to make a decision immediatly or can they spend the weekend deciding or looking into things?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear njg

Good to hear that the panel was very nice. My impression is that this is what the other appellants reporting back seem to have found.

For this type of appeal, the decision-making usually takes place straight away.

Regards
Etienne
njg

Post by njg »

Thanks Etienne.

It was interesting that the panel questioned the LA rep as to why i was given no advice from the council with regard the broken arm. They all had a copy of an email i sent asking for advice on guidance and they all noted that i had never received a reply! The LA rep said he had no idea why i hadn't had a reply. Interestingly we hadn't looked at it from this angle. One panelist agreed that it should not have been up to us to chase the council on this matter and we schould have been given some options. The LA rep said that maybe we should have been offered a writer as in the case of other disabilities.
I don't know if this oversight by the council will be in our favour and whether it would be something we could use in the future?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear njg

The problem, if I remember correctly, is that the writing hand was needed to turn over the pages, as the other arm was broken.

This would not be a disability as defined by the legislation, because it's not long term.

I suspect the council would just apologise for omitting to respond, and would say that the appeal panel was able to take this extenuating circumstance into account.

It's an interesting case: 2x117, alternative VR score of 125, but average in Maths, and a '3' recommendation; extenuating circumstances, and a new head who didn't have a clue!

I look forward to hearing the outcome!

Regards
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now