Review help

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
confusedinmedway

Review help

Post by confusedinmedway »

Need some advice regarding the review procedure for the medway test, Son was predicted to pass , by school and tutor and sailed through the mocks but unfortunatley on the day he under performed. we have decided to go to review with the support of his headmistress, but just wondered if anyone else who has been through this procedure could shed some light on what we as parents should be writing on the form, i have been advised to keep it short and to the point and have also been advised that they do not even look at it!!! Stressing about what i should write , Any pointers would be gratefully received. :)
tiredmum

Re: Review help

Post by tiredmum »

I am not sure what to write on the form, there is a thread on here somewhere but i cant seem to find it. I did find this one though which you may like to look at.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 0&start=20

I have heard they dont pay attention to what you have written, but if there were any reasons why your son underperformed on the day perhaps you should write that incase the review is not a success and you pursue it at a latter date.

I know you need to be careful to submit the correct type of work though - hopefully your head has experience of this and can advice you - it needs to be of a high level 4a/5 and of a certain type.

Hopefully others will be along to help soon :)
confused_parent

Post by confused_parent »

confusedinmedway wrote:Need some advice regarding the review procedure for the medway test, Son was predicted to pass , by school and tutor and sailed through the mocks but unfortunatley on the day he under performed. we have decided to go to review with the support of his headmistress, but just wondered if anyone else who has been through this procedure could shed some light on what we as parents should be writing on the form, i have been advised to keep it short and to the point and have also been advised that they do not even look at it!!! Stressing about what i should write , Any pointers would be gratefully received. :)
You are in exactly the same position as me. I have just written out a draft copy that my sons head said she will have a quick look at. I just did it as key points.

I know it may not be looked at, so then why do they ask for it? Both his primary head and the grammar rep advised filling it in.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

The review request form we received with the results make it quite clear in bold that
The review panel assesses suitability for a Grammar school place based on the evidence provided by the school
This shows your letter carries very little or no weight at all. Unless you have VERY good academic evidence I say again please proceed with caution. While its tempting to want a decision early, it can mean blowing the chances of a child who underperfomed due to extenuating circumstances. It would have been nice if all Heads new about the process but most simply know the basics so what they say is based only on what they know. Reviews are very by the book and no room for movement. Exactly 2% will get in this way yet for appeals are not as rigid as reviews. I am very weary of the reviews unless you have rock solid evidence of high quality work across all the subjects, not just the one they didnt do well in.
Impossible is Nothing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now