Scaf form-order of preference and appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tigger2

Scaf form-order of preference and appeals

Post by tigger2 »

I debated whether this should go under Kent or appeals so please do move it if I am wrong!! My ds missed the kent test by 1mark and following a chat with the ht this morning we will definitely appeal for a gs place. I know that I have to name schools that I want to appeal for on the scaf but need advice on the best order to put them in. My ds is desperate to go to a gs but in addition to this we will be applying for a place at Bennett Memorial (as ,if not worse,for oversubscription as the gs). His ultimate first choice was skinners and due to negative comments and problems when attending taster days with the rest of his class is adamant that he will not consider the two local non selectives :(

I am also going to view the papers as soon as possible and have emailed KCC to ask for the earliest date.

So my questions are:
!) Am I right to put Bennett first because I am assuming that by putting the gs's on the form the order of preference will not matter as we know we are going to have to appeal?
2)I have been told today that when papers are picked out for parents to view that they are hand-marked. Does anyone know if this already done for a ht review and indeed if this is definitely the case for the kent test papers before parents go to view them? My thinking was that if ,by any chance, they were handmarked before we saw them and (really dreaming now!) my ds was awarded an extra mark he would pass the Kent test. But if I had already had to file the scaf then the order would definitely be incorrect!!! :?

Any advice gratefully received!
Many thanks
Tigger
twinkles

Re: Scaf form-order of preference and appeals

Post by twinkles »

Hi Tigger2

Last year my son missed the pass mark by a few marks and I appealed.

On the CAF form I put the GS first and then our second choice as was told that you should always put the school you want first. If you didn't pass this will then be automatically disregarded and your second choice will become your first.

I also went and viewed my DS's papers and they had been handmarked before I saw them.

Hope this helps.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

tigger2 wrote:I am also going to view the papers as soon as possible and have emailed KCC to ask for the earliest date.

2)I have been told today that when papers are picked out for parents to view that they are hand-marked. Does anyone know if this already done for a ht review and indeed if this is definitely the case for the kent test papers before parents go to view them? My thinking was that if ,by any chance, they were handmarked before we saw them and (really dreaming now!) my ds was awarded an extra mark he would pass the Kent test. But if I had already had to file the scaf then the order would definitely be incorrect!!! :?
Hi tigger
it is well worth going to view your childs papers - discrepancies do occasionally occur and you are correct 1 mark is so close. I dont know if they would already have been handmarked because of the HT appeal - thats a good question. Hopefully someone will pop along and know the answer. IF not call kent and ask. :)
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I know the answer regarding hand marking!

They are not marked by hand until a parent requests to view them, so any HT appeal will not have found any anomolies. Don't get your hopes up but we had exactly this because DS marked ever so slightly under the box for a single answer. HT appeal had already failed. The details of why ds had underperformed were not given :roll: which probably helped is in the end as the information had no previously been considered.
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

We were one point under last year too and went to parental appeal after an unsuccessful HT appeal.

We put both the GS first then our choice of High School third.....and we didn`t get an offer for any.....so went to appeal for all three.

Fortunately the appeal for her first choice.....was the first appeal and we were successful so I didn`t have to go through the trauma twice more :shock:

God luck.....its a long slog but worth a go
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

Just a very general point on viewing papers..... i ummmed and ahhed last year as to whether it was worth it and ended going in early Dec. I had an appointment on my own whereas earlier (Oct/Nov) rooms had been booked for groups of parents. I had a 1:1 situation with a really great lady and although she obviously couldn't advise me ........ all i can say is she knew her stuff and took time to explain what i was looking at. Things like patterns in where my DS had and had not answered things.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Same here fluffy, I avoided the mad rush and had a very good 1:1. Went around March time when I really decided to go for an appeal.
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

This is going to sound really,really stupid but when you view the papers I am presuming that someone is with you but would it be up to you to spot the anomoly (if any!!!!!) and then use that as evidence at appeal? Is that how this works. In my dh's mind he thought if a marking error had occured it should be remedied before allocation but am assuming that this is not the case-because life isn't like that!!!!

Also, can anyone confirm the situation if we put a super selective on our scaf to enable us to appeal for it....when we get to the appeal will the panel have to consider all circmstances/evidence and not just the kent test score???? Realise that this is a long shot but ds desperate for us to apply to one in particular..................many thanks ***
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Can't answer about the super selectives......

The viewing of papers though works like this. A machine has already 'marked' the answer sheet, giving the scores for every DC. If a parent asks to view, a LA admissions person has to hand mark it and will draw your attention to it. They are really good and help you to look for patterns etc. This is where they found my DS had underlined a box rather than struck through it. He was given the raw score recognition but it made no critical difference as he had already passed the paper it was on. If it makes a difference to your DS's and he would have passed you would need to seek further guidance, although the LA tends to take the stand that all papers were marked in the same way and DC were advised to mark clearly within the box to mark their answer.

If it means going to appeal, the LA should be asked to confirm in writing of the anomaly which should help your case. All evidence / circumstances should be considered within an appeal along side the kent test score.

There is loads of information on the feedback sticky in the appeals section which helped me prepare my appeal, which was commended by the panel 8)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now