Scores Appeal - is it worth it (Kent)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T12ACY

Re: Scores Appeal - is it worth it (Kent)

Post by T12ACY »

Hmmmm West Kent is not so easy..... We applied to 2 schools on appeal, getting in one but not the other. We are in Mid / East Kent which has been easier in the past but have today read that the pressure on places this year is greater than ever :?

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/ ... tions.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
becs1

Post by becs1 »

dazza 21h yes def worth a go!!! good pass marks on two, very similar to my daughters marks last year passed in NV and V and scored only 100 in maths. HT appeal turned down but won at parental appeal. If you dont try you will never know
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

You should go for it, if you didn't you will always wonder. The feedback sticky will help you prepare in the most suitable way for you, it turned my original short letter into several pages of evidence which couldn't in the end be disputed in a school which had a place available. If you view the paper and it confirms that the test wasn't finished it will cement your reason, only a panel can decide if it would be fair to accept because every other child was tested under the same conditions. Suppose your biggest challenge may be if there is over subscription for you to appeal against too because some DC will have passed and are trying to get a place so they won't have that to convince a panel about. Hard fact, but true.....

It won't be easy but the forum will help you along the way, and the free advice on offer from the mods in particular is fantastic. There are all sorts of people available to help you with more local information, and if the worst happens you need to have considered your alternative options so filling out the CAF with that in mind is vital.

Really, the best of luck. :)
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

madasahatter wrote:T12ACY - we're in West Kent - TW country!
When you say you lost one appeal but won another, what do you mean? Did you appeal at two schools?
For us - with his lowish scores I won't appeal at Skinners which is our closest school.... but I'd like to try Boys Grammar.
I am very new to this appeals malarkey but can someone advise me ...if you are going into appeal at a superselective is it not the case that the appeal would be heard on all evidence-including sats levels ? Surely if your dc has good sats levels and you've got full ht support backed up with great work and can substantiate any mitigating factors that have to be taken into account you have got a chance?

It is at this stage that I should say that my ds is a non qual but I am seriously considering all options !!!!
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

tigger2 wrote:I am very new to this appeals malarkey but can someone advise me ...if you are going into appeal at a superselective is it not the case that the appeal would be heard on all evidence-including sats levels ? Surely if your dc has good sats levels and you've got full ht support backed up with great work and can substantiate any mitigating factors that have to be taken into account you have got a chance?

It is at this stage that I should say that my ds is a non qual but I am seriously considering all options !!!!

tigger look through the sticky at the top of the appeal section marked feedback
In this area people have written about their appeals and it may help you understand what kind of evidence you need
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

thank you tiredmum....I'm off to take a look :D
madasahatter

Post by madasahatter »

With my DS 11+ results: 131, 122 and 113 I really don't think appealing to a super selective will be useful... had he had 140, 135 and 113 MAYBE.....
Four of his 12 classmates got 140 all 3 times and interestingly in class he is on par with them but I still think they'll laugh at me at the appeal panel if I turn up for a super selective.

Maybe I am wrong??

DS was just not as prepared and coached as some of the others.... that was our choice. I maybe naively thought as his SATS are all above 5 already and for his CATS he got 94 and 95 centile, we'd do well.....
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

if you are going into appeal at a superselective is it not the case that the appeal would be heard on all evidence-including sats levels ? Surely if your dc has good sats levels and you've got full ht support backed up with great work and can substantiate any mitigating factors that have to be taken into account you have got a chance?
I agree that all the evidence must be taken into account - indeed, the panel has a duty to consider everything.

It is up to the panel, however, to decide how much weight to give a particular bit of evidence.

As the 11+ is not a curriculum test, I personally would have expected a good appeal case to be based on more than SATs levels and a headteacher report that is mainly focused on the curriculum. Very high percentiles in CATs or an educational psychologist's report would - in my view - help an appeal.

The ideal case, I suggest, would have a wide range of indicators of high ability.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where superselectives are concerned, I assume they would be looking for as much evidence as possible of very high ability!

The further away from a qualifying score, then the more compelling the extenuating circumstances need to be to explain the shortfall in marks.

If the extenuating circumstances are ongoing at the time of the 11+, but only one test paper was substandard, there are going to be questions as to why the other papers weren't affected.
Etienne
madasahatter

Post by madasahatter »

Etienne wrote: Very high percentiles in CATs or an educational psychologist's report would - in my view - help an appeal.

We're in a similar boat.... what is a very high percentile. My child had 94, 94 and 92 percentile in his CATS and had 134 in maths SATS .

Is that high enough? Or am I dreaming?

(he "failed" the 11+ because on NVR - 113 ... but had 131 in math)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I suggest the 90th percentile at least, and the further above the 90th percentile, the better!

I would have thought the scores you mention are worth considering - but only the individual panel can decide.

Each case has to be looked at on its own merits. For example, if someone came along with two or three lots of CATs results taken at different times, and every single time the results were around the 94th percentile, the sheer consistency of such scores ought to make for a strong case.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now