What does this mean - "Appeal should be allowed"

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rose petal

What does this mean - "Appeal should be allowed"

Post by Rose petal »

On my rejection letter regarding a recent appeal it contains the phrase "the panel decided that you appeal should be allowed.............................."

Does it mean that the appeal should be heard or that the appeal is won, because the rest of the letter sums up the reasons why we didn't win.

Thanks to you all.

Rose petal.
T12ACY

Re: What does this mean - "Appeal should be allowed"

Post by T12ACY »

The letter should be clear about if a place will be offered or not, followed by the facts considered by the panel to reach that decision. Ours said there would be prejudice to the school but went on to say that the case was sufficiently strong to award a place.
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

The rest of the letter was pretty clear why a place isn't offered but I was just wondering why it would also contain the phase "your appeal should be allowed......" within the first sentence.

Ta to you all.

Rose petal.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

".... should be allowed" = "should succeed".

It ought to make sense, depending on the words in front of it - e.g. 'In deciding whether or not your appeal should be allowed, the panel took into consideration ......"
Etienne
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

Hi Etienne,

This is the 1st paragraph on the letter and the paragraph is as follows

"I am writing to let you know the decision of the panel which met at ........ on........., the panel decided that your appeal should be allowed and that your child should not be offered a place at..................."

I hadn't really noticed this before and it just now strikes me as quite a strange way to tell us that we were unsuccesful.

Thanks for your response

Rose petal.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Looks like a typo then, Rose petal.

Sadly, as most of what follows is probably explaining why the appeal was unsuccessful, it looks as if it's the first bit that's wrong, but I suggest you contact them to clarify the contradictory statement.

I've noted your comments about the decision in another thread. If you want to scan the letter and send it to the Appeals Box (or type out the key paragraphs, omitting any personal information), I'll have a look and tell you whether what they're saying appears to be lawful (i.e. meets the requirements of the Code). It's a long shot, and I wouldn't want to get your hopes up unnecessarily, though.

If you want to do this, the address for the Appeals Box can be found here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=9907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- but will entirely understand if you've had enough of all this!
Etienne
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Of course, it could equally be a typo on 'not' = 'now' - as in

"the panel decided that your appeal should be allowed and that your child should now be offered a place at..................."

Some panels like to give the information they took into account even when allowing appeals (in case the school wishes to take it to judicial review).
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Even though
the rest of the letter was pretty clear why a place isn't offered
?

:?
Etienne
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

not one of these horrible "cut and paste" letters I hope? Do wish they would pay more attention - might be helpful if you could scan it for Etienne to take a look
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

Etienne,

Thanks for the offer, have now sent it and a bit of background information.

RP.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now