It's not just down to the documents you send

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
capers123

It's not just down to the documents you send

Post by capers123 »

This morning yet another pile of paperwork for appeals dropped through my letterbox.

One appeal stood out. I thought "You're appealing for a place at a grammar, you only scored x (very, very low), and your mitigating circumstances are what? Don't waste my time!"

"How unsympathetic", you may well think. "How can Capers prejudge an appeal like that"?

Well, that's my feeling from glancing through the paperwork over breakfast. However, I know that my initial feelings about an appeal case are often totally reversed once I've heard the parents give their evidence on the day of the appeal. People often forget to put down useful things - with this one I know that there's a line of questioning that I'll be following to pull out more information that may well reinforce the parents case.

To sum up, try & get your paperwork as full & complete as possible, but don't worry if you forget something - you can always add it on the day of the appeal verbally!
Capers
cairo

Re: It's not just down to the documents you send

Post by cairo »

Yes, I agree with that: what you say on the day is very important.

There can also be situations which are just so awful that the parents don't want to write it down on paper, but will just about be able to say it out loud on the day. :cry: So it's good to hear that appeal panels don't make a judgment before hearing everything that is said.