Earliest date for appeals & other questions

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tigger2

Re: Earliest date for appeals & other questions

Post by tigger2 »

Hi Etienne

What a relief ! The thought of having to wade through that was not a pleasant one..I have found the appeals code of conduct challenge enough ! :lol:

Many thanks
Tigger
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I can confirm there is no 'you have passed or not the non qual' part of the appeal. Afraid you have to wait until the very end, and then generally a week or more for the overall outcome.....

Good luck!
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Thank you T12ACY for this...I thought it would make for a lengthy appeal hearing if they did that. I am just steeling myself for March 1st now :roll: Incidentally Kcc have told a friend who is also going for a gs appeal that the appeal forms will not be included with our letters on March 2nd now. However the waiting list form will still be sent with the letter. When my friend asked why one form was not going to be included the lady at Kcc said it was to encourage people to think twice before applying for an appeal :lol:
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

LOL - I can see the logic but would that really put you off if you had to ask for a form? I think not :roll:

Bet they have appointed someone to do a time and motion study to prove how effective that decision is too....
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

If we get allocated our 4th choice tomorrow my Dh would rather that we didn't accept the place ..since we submitted our scaf we have had second thoughts about this choice but we realise that there will be others that want a place at this school and it is only fair to let the place go if we have no intention of sending ds there. Can you tell me if rejection of an offered place would go against us when we appeal for places?
Many thanks
Tigger
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I don't think so, provided you explain as above (if asked).

Be careful not to give the impression that you are 'pressurising' the panel. For example, arguing "We haven't got any school at all" - when you've chosen to reject an offer - would probably not go down well!

Some appeal panels (especially foundation school panels) might know nothing about your CAF.
You will find out what they know because you must all have the same appeal papers.
Even if they have no information about your CAF preferences and what offer you've received, it's possible they might ask.
Etienne
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

In Kent our allocation letter was produced by the LA as evidence for the first, but not second appeal. You know before you attend as everyone is given the opportunity to view the overall submission before the hearing.
I was asked why the school I made a late application to wasn't on my CAF and was able to explain. Many of us change our minds!
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Many thanks for this advice.I will pass it on to Dh without delay. I agreed with him that it is not right to let someone else stay on a waiting list but I would reluctantly have done so if it could have jeopardised our appeals to reject the allocated place. I have my appeal forms now (thought I would do it before the 4.05pm rush :lol: ) .I will submit my full statement and evidence in about 14days time so is it enough to say that or should I outline which grounds I am basing my appeal on? I had hoped to send it all in at the same time but I have to wait for additional documents.

Tigger
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Tigger - If you reject the place you could end up with no school in September. Are you really prepared for that eventuality?

Sorry - I'm a worrier! :oops:
capers123

Post by capers123 »

If a parent had rejected their offered school, and had no school to go to, I would not take that into account during an appeal. That is a problem to be sorted out between the parents and the LEA outside of the appeal, and has no relavence to extenuating circumstances.

I would accept it and ask for reconsideration for another / other schools. Also start appeals process for the other schools.

It's unlikely that you'd end up with no school come September - but it could, and does, happen. What is more likely is allocated a place at yet another school even further away, that may not as good as even the offered school.

Good luck for today!
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now