ranking

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
guest1

ranking

Post by guest1 »

Have just recd my order of business and it doen't look like my daughter has been ranked, it has NA typed across headtecher recommendation, attitude and oos.

Her scores were 120 and 111 and has been ranked on headteacher selection summary sheet as

Academic potential 2/3
Attitude 1
OOS 3

I am lost, what does this means for us . Will appreciate feedback on this
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

OoS - means order of suitability which is her ranking.
Bucks Fizz

Post by Bucks Fizz »

Guest1,
Did you send the Heads Summary sheet off with the original papers when you first appealed? If not, then the Authority may not have received it. I had to send it with our Appeal application (or later if not available at the time). Its the parents responsibility to let the authority have it- Bucks process. Sorry if you've done all this. The other possibility is that the Head didn;t send in a oss. It has happened before.
guest1

Post by guest1 »

Yes I did send everything off, sorry i didn,t make it clear. I don't think anything is mising, just seems like my daughter was not ranked according to informatin received with the order of business. However she has been ranked on headteacher appeal summary sheet given to me by the headteacher in support of our appeal.

Etienne, can you give any feedback on this

guest1
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Guest1
guest1 wrote:Have just recd my order of business and it doen't look like my daughter has been ranked, it has NA typed across headtecher recommendation, attitude and oos.
It looks to me as if the head did not include your daughter in the original O. of S.
guest1 wrote:Her scores were 120 and 111 and has been ranked on headteacher selection summary sheet as
Academic potential 2/3
Attitude 1
OOS 3
This looks like an update (it's not possible to alter the original O. of S.).

If I were you, I'd ask the head for an explanation .......

Regards
Etienne
Guestspeaker

Post by Guestspeaker »

Could someone please explain what this all means with regard to ranking etc by HT?
Thank you
guest1

Post by guest1 »

Etienne, thanks for your response. It looks to me she changed her oos and ranked my daughter on the headteacher summary sheet when the result came ou. In fact the ranking she gave my daughter as 3 was my daughter's position in the exam result.

Is she right to do this though?

Guest1
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Guest1

It's fair enough for heads to provide an update if there's been a marked improvement in a pupil's overall work (but they ought to give an explanation).

However, to re-do everything just to make the figures match the actual result seems pointless.

The suspicion has to be that the head originally gave your daughter a "4" recommendation at best, or alternatively a "3" recommendation which she didn't realise had to be included in the O. of S.

Is she updating because she was wrong, or is she updating because of a marked improvement in school work? If the latter, I would ask her to provide a letter for the appeal panel, giving evidence of the improvement.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Etienne
Guestspeaker

Post by Guestspeaker »

Guestspeaker wrote:Could someone please explain what this all means with regard to ranking etc by HT?
Thank you
Please can anyone explain? Thank you :?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Guestspeaker wrote:Could someone please explain what this all means with regard to ranking etc by HT?
Thank you
This is the procedure in Bucks. The headteacher has to assess each candidate, using the following grades:
1= exceptionally highly recommended (predicted score 131-141)
2= highly recommended (121-130)
3= recommended with reservations (111-120)
4= not recommended for grammar school (101-110)
5= definitely not recommended (69-100)

Those with grades 1-3 are put on a list in order of merit (the "rankings" or order of suitability). The list is sent to the Local Authority before the results of the 11+ are known.

Regards
Etienne