Appeals - cross-county

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
energy

Appeals - cross-county

Post by energy »

Hi - advice needed please,

Sadly a fail arrived in the post on friday for Bucks 11+ tests. We are in Hertfordshire.

After getting over the initial shock - the results were 112 and 112 - something just does not sit right with me. In the months and months of preparation - on the worst practice papers (tired, distracted etc) child has only ever been one or two questions away from a solid pass - these results are way off. In addition, child assures us both papers were fully completed and actually came out of second paper saying it was easier than the first, and did not appear nervous or stressed.

So, I have a few questions if I may:

1. How can I calculate how many questions were marked incorrect?
2. Is 'marking error' a possibility? The coincidence of two 112s raises an eyebrow (of course you could argue that is child's level and it's consistent!)
3. I have seen the thread re: Data Protection rights - does this mean I can get access to both test papers and answer sheets to assess for myself?
4. How do we go about requesting remarking should we need to?
5. It would seem that appealing is discouraged given the marks (which is the basis of my query) and also the possible inability to provide supporting school evidence when current school is a little resentful of schools in other counties taking their pupils?

Any help greatly received. I know this is coming across as 'pushy parent' syndrome - but I don't think we'll be able to sleep well if we don't explore this further.
Thanks
mitasol

Re: Appeals - cross-county

Post by mitasol »

Hi Energy,

Sorry you've had bad news.

Etienne has posted this sticky regarding Bucks policy for obtaining raw scores and paper remark analysis. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=12629" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi energy

I am sorry to hear the bad news.
energy wrote: In the months and months of preparation - on the worst practice papers (tired, distracted etc) child has only ever been one or two questions away from a solid pass - these results are way off.
Please bear in mind that there are very few published practice papers that are of the same difficulty level as the real 11+, so the results of practice tests (even the official familiarisation papers) may not always be indicative of the final result.
Is 'marking error' a possibility?

Mitasol has pointed you at link on how to request a re-mark, but I would just add that the papers are marked by an electronic "optical reader", and errors are very rare. If a child has failed to rub out an incorrect answer completely, the reader may have picked that up in error, but otherwise the marking is generally very accurate.
I have seen the thread re: Data Protection rights - does this mean I can get access to both test papers and answer sheets to assess for myself?
Unfortunately not.
It would seem that appealing is discouraged given the marks
It is not discouraged on any score, but on scores of 112/112 I am afraid the chances of success are very slim unless you can provide exceptionally strong academic evidence by way of school reports that mention high ability, predicted Level 5 SATs, good past test scores (CATs, reading tests, etc) and a high standard of work in school books.

Sally-Anne
energy

Post by energy »

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your very quick replies. I am really trying to stay objective about this so your replies are helping.

I suspect the appeal route is not one to pursue - but it may be that for our general 'peace of mind' we explore the analysis / remark route.

Thanks again - I appreciate the advice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now