After 1st March

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
slough mum

After 1st March

Post by slough mum »

After 1st March once the school allocation has been made, are we able to liaise and make contact directly with the schools or do we still have to go via our LEA.

For example if we get a school where we don't want to send our child, can we contact the school where we do want to send our child?

Thanks
scary mum

Re: After 1st March

Post by scary mum »

I think it will tell you on your letter which states which school you have got and you will have the option to go on waiting lists. I don't think there is any advantage to contacting the school as I think the admissions are handled centrally by each LA (someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong).
scary mum
Alex

Post by Alex »

Local Authorities continue to co-ordinate admissions right up until the start of the new school year in September. Therefore if places become available after the first allocations they will continue to offer them to those on the reserve list. However, if you wish to appeal for a school which was on your form but which you were not allocated this could be either via the Local Authority in the case of Community or Controlled schools or via the school itself for most Foundation or Voluntary Aided Schools or Academies.

Many schools will not mind answering questions about where you are on any reserve list etc but any actual offers should only come through the LA.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Alex wrote:Local Authorities continue to co-ordinate admissions right up until the start of the new school year in September.
This year in Gloucestershire, the LEA took over In Year admissions - ie, ones not at the start of Reception or secondary. In the past there had been cases of heads allowing extra pupils who'd moved into the area even when it took them well over PAN / IAN, and the LEA only found out about it a few months after the event. All well and good for those schools, but there are often schools nearby with less pupils than they need, which the children should have been given a place at.

It's made for more appeals, though :-(
Capers