Advice needed please ............ 120 & 118

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
thecroft

Advice needed please ............ 120 & 118

Post by thecroft »

My May b'day dd got 120 & 118 respectively in the her 11+

Have been to the school today, who are prepared to back her, but on a 3:2, which we are gutted about and feel will cost us her appeal.

Her problem is that dd has always been extremely nervous in exam conditions, including SATS and her back up results are unfortunately indicative of this. They are predicting her 4a's for end of year because of this, but these results do not accurately reflect her true academic potential. The head teacher has never taught my dd or had no knowledge of this problem, even though it has been brought up numerous times at parents evenings etc by the teachers.

We did not privately tutor our dd, as even the highly recommended tutor said that she had never met such a nervous child before and could not take her, even suggesting she have a ep assessment/report done to find out why (which we did not due to cost) we therefore resorted to doing familiarisation at home.

Please advise:

1). Should I ask the relevant class teachers to write me a letter backing up her nervousness - would this
have any advantages?

2). When appealing, how much emphasis should we put on this as to why we believe she did not pass?

3). We have both a dd at gs and a ds at upper school, and feel that dd will be better suited to a gs
environment, should I refer to this in the appeal? (our ds achieved 117 but we did not appeal
for him as we knew he would be better suited to an upper school)

The head teacher told us we needed extenuating circumstances, of which we have none and we are now feeling demoralised as a result of this.
Etienne

Re: Advice needed please ............ 120 & 118

Post by Etienne »

The head teacher told us we needed extenuating circumstances, of which we have none and we are now feeling demoralised as a result of this.
With scores as good as 120 and 118, I don't think this is much of an issue.

The main problem is the 3:2, especially when followed by 4a predictions.

Could I ask if you know what 4a is based on? Were there any optional SATs in year 5, for example? Does 4a seem to you reasonable in the light of previous school reports and marks given for school work?

What levels were achieved at Key Stage 1 (end of year 2)?
Etienne
thecroft

Post by thecroft »

Hi Etienne

Thanks very much for your reply.

dd sats results for end of year 2 were: English 3, Science 3 & Maths 2. DD could read fluently and was advanced and off the reading scheme in this year. (Maths is her weaker subject) DD joined this school in year 2.

English 4c, Maths 3a & science 4c.

The 4a's are just predictions, although they sat practise sats last week - so would these be helpful if I could get the results and this is what the 3 in relation to the 3:2 is all about??

dd is in top sets - we think and believe she is much brighter than her exam results show and she just completely buckles under tests/exams, which the year 5 teacher said was her major problem. She is very hard working and always tries her best.

We are struggling with the fact that her equal academic piers will go to grammar school with 1 mark more than her, and on average over the 2 papers, quite a few less, which is hard to comprehend, let alone explain to a ten year old :(

Anything else ... let me know - really appreciate your help and guidance,
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

thecroft wrote:dd sats results for end of year 2 were: English 3, Science 3 & Maths 2. DD could read fluently and was advanced and off the reading scheme in this year. (Maths is her weaker subject) DD joined this school in year 2.
That's quite good, bearing in mind the disruption of a move in year 2. Taking those results in isolation, one might have expected at least two level 5s for KS2.
English 4c, Maths 3a & science 4c.
Which month & year do these refer to?
The 4a's are just predictions, although they sat practise sats last week - so would these be helpful if I could get the results and this is what the 3 in relation to the 3:2 is all about??
The '3' may or may not be related, but I think you do need to know the recent test results.
dd is in top sets
Is it a high achieving school?
We have both a dd at gs and a ds at upper school, and feel that dd will be better suited to a gs
environment, should I refer to this in the appeal? (our ds achieved 117 but we did not appeal
for him as we knew he would be better suited to an upper school)
A good point, I feel.

I've not overlooked one or two of your earlier questions - still thinking about them.
Etienne
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

thecroft wrote:dd sats results for end of year 2 were: English 3, Science 3 & Maths 2. DD could read fluently and was advanced and off the reading scheme in this year. ,
were you given a sub level for the maths? I know my dd got a 2a in maths at the end of key stage 1 - it was listed as that on the results sheet.
thecroft

Post by thecroft »

just had another look, yes the maths was a 2b!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

thecroft - I have just sent you a Private Message (PM).
thecroft

Post by thecroft »

Hi Etienne,

Yes, I would believe it to be a high achieving school, and this was suppose to be a "bright" year, but not many seem to have passed or otherwise they have just scraped through!

The sats were taken in May 2010.

Can the KS1 sats be referred to in the appeal?

Also, do the school submit or refer the year 5 sats results, or the predicted end of year 6 sats to the appeal panel?

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I would believe it to be a high achieving school, and this was suppose to be a "bright" year, but not many seem to have passed or otherwise they have just scraped through!
Interesting.
Can the KS1 sats be referred to in the appeal?
Absolutely - you are free to submit any evidence you wish.
Also, do the school submit or refer the year 5 sats results, or the predicted end of year 6 sats to the appeal panel?
There is a space on the headteacher's form for previous test results - it's up to the individual headteacher to decide what to put there.

On the basis of the May 2010 results, and with a normal progression of two sub-levels a year, I concede that English would finish up as 4a, Maths as 4b & science 4a. What I find puzzling, though, is - if your daughter is overwhelmed with nerves - why did she do so well at KS1, and how did she cope so well with the enormous pressure of the 11+ to score as highly as 120 & 118?

Does nervousness manifest itself only in tests?
Etienne
thecroft

Post by thecroft »

Hi Etienne,

I wish I only knew the answers!!

Her nervousness comes out also in general school lessons as well and has been noted by many!
This was initially put down to her being young in the year and not joining school until the Easter before she was 5 and was often mentioned in her school reports and parents evenings. In some lessons, she would become inconsolable. Quote from school report "... was overly concerned about getting everything right,to the extent she would cry if she made a mistake". We were told she would grow out of it by the end of KS2, but it has continued throughout, still happening in year 5, and only now seeming to get much better in year 6. This problem does seem to only appear at school and this is what the 11+ tutor we tried to enrol with was so puzzled with, saying she needed to see a ep to find out why!

Her KS1 sats are all teacher assessment, which I think would not really take into account her nervousness, but what the teacher believes she is capable of?

Also dd was not "professionally" tutored, we did work with her at home, as we were so worried her nerves would manifest themselves and thought she would breakdown in the middle of the test. This seems to have worked well. The key to us was making sure dd finished the test as we knew then she had a very good chance of passing.