117 - Bucks - Advice Needed

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiredmum

Re: 117 - Bucks - Advice Needed

Post by tiredmum »

melodycool wrote:I'd be interested in seeing them myselves. If I requested a re-mark, would that be possible? (Can I request the re-mark or must it come from the school?)
follow this link
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=12629" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Would the appeals panel have seen DD 11+ papers?
No, not in Bucks.
(Can I request the re-mark or must it come from the school?)
The 'guidance' suggests going through the school, but I'm not aware that parents have had any problem when going to Admissions directly.
Etienne
melodycool

Post by melodycool »

Our appeal is soon and I've sent off a letter that I'll read out on the day. I've sent 5 letters from different subject teachers, drama exam certificates, reports for last 2 years and 2 sets of Nfer results. On the day I'll take some work of hers - the school tend to base most work around projects which are done in school and this is what they supplied me when I asked for her work. Will this be frowned upon, I did read in the appeals guide on here that projects were not recommended. It seems as though the books they use at school tend to have rough notes in that then get used for the project work.
The covering letter refers to her attitude to school work, her teachers' opinions - based on school reports, academic prizes she's received from school on prize day. I've also mentioned how she approaches her work and her way of thinking, backed up by her school work. I've mentioned her high Nfer scores. I've also said how we cannot explain the 11+ scores and her result was a shock.
I'm worried that this will all be stuff the panel have heard before and we don't have any mitigating circumstances.
What else should I do?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

melodycool wrote:Will this be frowned upon?
No (and certainly not if you explain why).
As with exercise books, though, I probably wouldn't bother unless they're full of high marks and complimentary comments!
I'm worried that this will all be stuff the panel have heard before
Panels have heard just about everything before! :)
I've also said how we cannot explain the 11+ scores and her result was a shock.
Honesty is the best policy!
What else should I do?
The only thing you need do is provide all the evidence of academic achievement you can lay your hands on. The academic evidence can speak for itself.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No need to discuss "how she approaches her work and her way of thinking".
Etienne
melodycool

Post by melodycool »

Thanks for the advice Etienne, and Sally-Anne.
The year 5 Nfer scores were as follows:
Autumn term 2009: NVR 123, VR 125, reading age 10.8, spelling age 10.6.

The HT report gave a 2:1