tuttermouse -converting 2010 bucks parctice test raw scores?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tuttermouse

tuttermouse -converting 2010 bucks parctice test raw scores?

Post by tuttermouse »

HI! sorry I'm a panicky new-bi so hope doing this all correclty! wanted to know if there is a way of converting the 3 official Bucks practice test raw scores into relevant 11+ scores? I know this information is not deemed very relevant by the panel (tho a friend was actaully asked for these at her appeal hearing?) but it would help me know whether my son was well on track which I thought he was - but missed by 2 points.
Many thanks!
rubyrubyruby

Re: tuttermouse -converting 2010 bucks parctice test raw sco

Post by rubyrubyruby »

as far as I can see (and I am not an expert) there is no reliable way to do that as the 11-plus scores are converted using an information grid that is not available to us. If you look at the section on this site on standardised scores you will get a sense of the complexity. As a rule of thumb it looks as if in most years the points gap between and august born and a september born will be 3 points ish, but probably could be up to 5 (judging by the partial grid in the example shown). The other part of the standardisation takes the average of all those taking the test to 100 (which we dont know) and then applies a standard deviation either side to give + or - 20 and a further standard deviation to give + or -40. Hence a theoretical cut off at around 140. The shorter answer is that you cant do it simply and therefore it isnt a great deal of help, but I understand a percentage of 90% is probably what is needed to pass for a september born.

good luck

RRR
tuttermouse

Post by tuttermouse »

wow yeah tad complex!! but the percentages help! he is august born and scored 88, 90, 91 so basically 2 defo passes and one possible? - depending on how they convert!thanks!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

a friend was actaully asked for these at her appeal hearing?
Can't say it never happened, but it would be very unusual, and I certainly never heard any request for percentages. The question, if put, is more likely to be a very general one - "How did your child get on with the practice papers?"
Etienne