Appeal questions (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Annan

Re: Appeal questions (Bucks)

Post by Annan »

Many thanks, will not bring this up unless panel mentions it, it was more so I could try and understand the standardisation process but I'm more confused than ever now. :(
Annan

Post by Annan »

Hi, as our appeal date looms near just a quick question. My DS attends a school which is not a top performer, in fact it is quite low on the performance tables. Is it worth mentioning this? The ofsted report shows a level 3 overall with improvements required in teaching standards for Maths and English (2007). Is the fact that he's on target to reach high level 5 Maths and level 5 English in a low performing school worth mentioning or will it work against us?

Many Thanks Anna
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

You could say briefly "He's on target to reach high level 5 Maths and level 5 English, and has done well to achieve this in what is not - in all honesty - a high performing school."

Bear in mind, though, that if you also wanted to mention anything about being in top sets, or on the Gifted & Talented Register, then this might possibly not count for as much because it would have been easier to achieve!
Etienne
Annan

Post by Annan »

I have just had all my appeal work through and just wanted to check the schools recommendations with you.

2 with a 1,1 (0), 2 with 2,1 (1), 17 not recommended (0). Does this help our case?

Good luck to every one over the next few weeks.

Many Thanks Anna
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry, Anna, I'd rather not get drawn into discussing individual schools - it would become a full-time job! :)

See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Annan

Result

Post by Annan »

Got the result today and it was a no. Have yet to tell my son, waiting for dad to come home. He came out of
school today with mock SAT results of 5a+ in reading and maths, 5a writing very proud, (previously 4b). Now I have to tell him he still can't go to grammar school. We are just very lucky that the secondary school is still very good.

Keeping everything crossed for all still waiting for appeal/ results, good luck.

Anna
rubyblueruby

Post by rubyblueruby »

Really sorry to hear your news. Hope your son is not too disappointed. With 5a's he will achieve successs wherever he goes. Just remember those wise words...' Cream will always rise to the top!' We are holding on to that thought! RBR
Annan

Post by Annan »

Yes, my husband keeps telling me this too. Just have to open another bottle of wine tonight. Thank you for your
thoughts. Hope everying works out for you and you get a yes this week. We had ours on Friday and had results today.

Good luck xx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry to hear this, Anna.

With such respectable scores it's worth considering the 12+ - but see how things go at the alternative school. (Good to know that you have a suitable alternative.)
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now