SGS non qualification mitigating circumstances what evidence

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Moody Margaret

SGS non qualification mitigating circumstances what evidence

Post by Moody Margaret »

Hi guys. A long time lurker who has found this forum extremely useful over the last year.
However after the release of the results, i am unsure on how to proceed.

DS sat Consortium and scored 111 which is a pass, but highly unlikely to get an offer.

SGS which was his preferred choice he scored only 107. Really unhappy and he really wants us to appeal. The mitigating circumstances is that OH maternal aunt passed away 2 weeks before the exams so the preparation wasn't ideal, but we were still hopeful of a high enough mark.

In terms of academic evidence, he's 555 across the board and every teacher thats ever taught him has stated he's more than capable. He's also involved in extra duties in school and is on gifted and talented register.

My question is how do i go about confirming the mitigating circumstances. What sort of evidence would need to be presented to the board. Although he didn't miss any school due to the funeral, there was alot of crucial time lost seeing family who wanted to play their respects to OH as she was very close to her aunt.

Although he didn't show any outward signs of being troubled, there were lots of awkward questions which obviously played on his mind.

Any help gratefully accepted
Etienne

Re: SGS non qualification mitigating circumstances what evid

Post by Etienne »

Welcome, MM.

In this sort of situation, parents often turn up with a copy of an announcement in the newspaper (it helps, of course, if the surname matches), or death certificate.

The best evidence would have been confirmation from school that DS was not his usual self during the fortnight in question, or signs in exercise books that work was not up to his usual standard.

Failing that, and assuming things weren't so serious that a GP or counsellor became involved, I'm afraid it's very difficult to establish the effect on the child.

I think many panels would give a bit of weight to the disruption, although it's far from clear how much his reasoning ability would have improved as a result of practice in the two weeks before the test. If the gap were just a mark or two, I'd be more confident.

By all means mention the extenuating circumstances, but my advice would be not to overdo them. Academic evidence is usually the key. Three 5s are all right as a starting point. G&T is encouraging, although it's not a fixed standard as it depends entirely on the standard within the school.

Appeals can be very unpredictable, so - if you can put up with all the stress - it's worth seeing what a panel thinks of your case as a whole.
Etienne
stressedparent

Post by stressedparent »

Hi all,
SGS tests were very unfair in the way they were conducted this year.if you were in the morning session , the children were told not to mark the question papers otherwise they would have lost marks. The afternoon session was normal with no restriction imposed. As you are aware using the question papers to solve certain types is imperative. I believe certain classrooms in the morning had also no restriction imposed. So if you your child was disadvantaged by this mean and unreasonable demand then you have good ground of appeal due to the unlevel and unfair practice.
stressedparent
Moody Margaret

Post by Moody Margaret »

I wasn't aware of that . Ds didn't mention it when he finished. That might explain a few of the kids who did the morning session but inexplicably got very low marks when they were expecting much higher. I've even heard of one girl who missed 6 questions and still got a very high mark. Does anyone know are the papers the same for local children as those out of catchment.

Back to the appeal I thought about the death certificate but wondered how that would look to the panel. DS schoolmwork didn't show any drop but I guess he would have been distracted by his friends and school.

Unfortunately in our community our funerals are done as soon as possible oftens meaning friends and family arenot able to attend. Thus they would visit usually in the evening and at the weekend, the very time he would be preparing.

The school is a very one with children going to the various grammar schools yeR on year. The head teacher very good and knows about the children and their abilities.

What i want to avoid is raising his hopes too much. Has anyone sucessfully appeal with such a low mark?