Bucks Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

slough mum

Re: Bucks Appeal

Post by slough mum »

Thanks All.

Sally-Anne, I was thinking of posting the consultant letters and info on medical/treatment side affects. Is it better to take with me on the day?

I will also be taking the following on the day: Certificates & School Work

I am a little concerned on the HT selection appeal, for recommendation she gave 3, and attitude 2. Child scored 108 (highest score). Should I get another letter from HT or CT to support my case and make it stronger.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think as S-A suggested it is better to take a file with the letters and background in - then they can have a look at it if they need some more information.

Good Luck!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

slough mum wrote:I am a little concerned on the HT selection appeal, for recommendation she gave 3, and attitude 2. Child scored 108 (highest score). Should I get another letter from HT or CT to support my case and make it stronger.
I would check with the form teacher and the Head whether there is any new evidence that might be worth submitting. Some schools do mock SATs in January, for example, and if the results of those show that a child is working at a good level, they could be helpful.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

slough mum, I don’t know what condition your DD suffers from, and I don’t want to pry, but can I just warn you to be prepared for the panel to have absolutely zero real understanding of her medical condition, much less the possible impact of it on her academic performance.

My DD has particularly volatile Type I diabetes, not an especially rare condition but one about which our panel appeared to have very little knowledge, and which they were happy to dismiss as ‘not having a huge impact on her ability to learn’ despite our supplying letters from 2 consultants and a couple of academic papers which evidenced precisely that.

Of course, appeal panels can’t be expected to be medical experts but my advice would be to make sure that you spell out in very simple and precise terms exactly why and how your DD’s condition has a direct impact on her 11+ score (and other test scores if necessary). If you can show that her schoolwork is of a higher standard than her test scores, you might be able to persuade the panel that the latter is more likely to be adversely affected by her condition than the former.

Good luck.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Hi Rob Clark

I am hoping that the panel will considering the letters from the consultant, as it clearly states this has had an impact on DC performance. I also have info that was sent to me by DC consultant stating the diagnosis and treatment required.

Am not sure whether I should do some research on the net and add in a sheet or two with more back up.

I will be forwarding my docs this week to the panel and am thinking about doing another letter which clearly states the medical condition and consequences of treatment.

Will the panel be more concerned about the medical condition or academic performance?

As on the academic side I am planning on photocopy work from DC school books, how much work would you recommend, as I know that time is pretty tight.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Has anyone been to the appeal and not taken school reports, instead a letter from the school HT?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Slough mum - in answer to some of your questions of last night;

I think it is generally considered better to take the original books rather than photocopies, school work often doesn't photocopy well and also panels may think that you are cherrypicking if you photocopying.

The overwhelming need at an appeal is to demonstrate academic ability. Medical and other events are extenuating circumstances which may go some way to explaining why a child does not get the qualifying score.
If the academic evidence is not there then the extenuating circumstances will not help.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

But I thought the panel doesn’t have much time therefore need to select work that is of a high standard?

Also as a single parent would it be better to go on my own or ask someone to come along with me. Even though they will not be able say much about the case. If I went on my own maybe they might sympathise?
rubyrubyruby

Post by rubyrubyruby »

To answer one of your questions..we did not take original work just school reports (lots of them) HT and English teacher reports. However we did have a specific reason for this as DS does most of his work on a laptop and therefore it would be hard for a panel to verify it as original. We sent in advance the report copies with a short summary and highlighted key phrases. We took the originals with us for them to see and verify if they wanted (they declined the offer!). My guess is that if your whole case hinges on the schoolwork (and you think it supports the case) you probably have to take it, if you think you can make the points clearly without them you can probably leave it-Etienne often says that you do not have to show anything that you think will hinder your case. I did not get the impression that the panel would be questioning anything missed out since we buried them in data, but obviously it depends on your specific case- you need to give them the evidence on which they can make a decision.

good luck

RRR
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

slough mum wrote: Also as a single parent would it be better to go on my own or ask someone to come along with me. Even though they will not be able say much about the case. If I went on my own maybe they might sympathise?
Quite a few people go on their own , either because they are single parents or the OH can't be there that day or (as in the case of a friend) she felt better presenting the case on her own.

Others hate to be alone and take a friend and that is fine - if you have some calm soul who will sit quietly and supportively then take them. I doubt that the panel will read much into it either way so really whatever you feel better with.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now