Predicted KS2 SATS Maths 5C and English 4B

Maths - 110
Reading 98

CATS Level C:
VT 103
MA 114
NVR 127
Mean 115

Along with my mitigation circumstances (affecting my DC since age 7), does my case looks weak with the results?

If there anything I can do to make case stronger?

for academic potential HT gave 3 and attitude to work 2.
Etienne

Re: Bucks Appeal

Post by Etienne »

slough mum wrote:Hi Etienne,

I have decided to take the books, how many books would you suggest, obviously I will take the maths and english.

Thanks
Nothing I can really add to what I've written in the Q&As E12 about school work, but I do worry that you're taking exercise books when you say "DC school books do have a lot of negative comments" ........
If you're already taking school reports, then I don't think anyone will be too worried if you don't show school work as well.
Along with my mitigation circumstances (affecting my DC since age 7), does my case looks weak with the results?
If there anything I can do to make case stronger?
The academic evidence is what it is, so there's little to be done about it (apart from deciding whether school reports and exercise books strengthen your case or not).

The difficulty with ongoing extenuating circumstances is that the panel still have to be satisfied about academic ability. The NVR score stands out, but that may not be enough. It will be up to your panel to decide.
Etienne
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Are the panel more interested in the contents of child's work in their school books or what comments the teachers have made in the books?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I usually suggest that the marks or comments ought to be really good - but it's impossible to say for certain what a particular panel will focus on.
Etienne
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Thanks Etienne,

I have managed to get some books with positive remarks. Hope that goes well :-)
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Hi Etienne,

Just wanted to let you know had my HGS appeal (I know this is the Bucks Appeal).

As you already my reasons for appealing in greater detail, I have a question... the school rep did say that the letter from the school doesn't mention the dip in school performance/results. Even though I had a letter from a consultant stating that coming off the medication will lead to some impact on school performance. Not sure whether this will go against me?

After I presented my case, the Chair person asked the other 2 on the panel whether they had any questions. One did ask when DC had done any other 11+ and what the results were. Can they do that?

And the second person on the panel said they didn't have any questions at all..... is this a good sign?

But the chair person did ask loads, mainly on the mitigation circumstances.

Thanks again
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

the school rep did say that the letter from the school doesn't mention the dip in school performance/results. Even though I had a letter from a consultant stating that coming off the medication will lead to some impact on school performance. Not sure whether this will go against me?
Your case would be stronger if the school had mentioned a dip in performance, but the fact that they didn't doesn't necessarily negate your case. The panel is left having to decide just how much weight to give to the consultant's words "some impact". Does it mean a slight impact? More than a slight impact? An unknown impact? A moderate impact? Is it probable the consultant couldn't be sure just how much of an impact?
After I presented my case, the Chair person asked the other 2 on the panel whether they had any questions. One did ask when DC had done any other 11+ and what the results were. Can they do that?
I'm uneasy about the question, but it depends what the motive was for asking it. (Were they genuinely looking for alternative evidence of achievement? Or were they actually trying to find out how interested you are in other grammar schools?)
And the second person on the panel said they didn't have any questions at all..... is this a good sign?
Neither good nor bad. It probably means they were satisfied they understood the case, and did not feel the need to ask any more questions.
Etienne
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

I have by Bucks appeal, and have just come to realise that if you are successful you are not guaranteed a place.

My LEA (Slough) have said that if you win, then you will be put on a waiting list in the position with all the other children who go the pass mark of 121. Is this true????

I assumed if you were successful, then the admission criteria would be applied (as in my case BGS or Beaconsfield), regardless whether you achieved the 121 or not but have been successful in appeal.

Please can someone clarify.
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

I am guessing you are appealing on non-qualification as Bucks school allocations have not been made yet. On this basis if you win a non-qualification appeal you are then categorised with all the other children who got 121 or more and the allocations are made from this pool. At this stage no one is guaranteed the choice of their school just be passing the 11+. If you do pass or win an appeal, you are then eligible to be considered based on the GS admissions criteria (catchment, siblings etc).
In Bucks if you qualify for GS but do not get your school of choice, there is a separate system called an over-subscription appeal but of course these will not start until after the 1st March allocations. However you have to win the non-qualification appeal first.
Hope this helps!
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Yes it is a non-qualification. We live in Slough, but just say if we don’t get BGS or Beaconsfield, does that mean I will have to attend another appeal against one or both of the schools.

Also how long is this process likely to take, i.e. when are we likely to know what school DC will be attending if we appeal under over subscribed.

Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now