Bucks 11+ appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

HarryM

Bucks 11+ appeal

Post by HarryM »

Help! This is my first post, so excuse the mistakes.
My twins results from Bucks arrived on Saturday, and now I now have a nightmare scenario at home. My Oct. born DD passed with 126 and 141, however my DS managed 120 and 115.
We are OOC. Both generally performed equally well on past papers, but DD used to do a bit better, ie by 3-5%.
I have read past posts as to likely outcomes to appeals but feel that DS may not get a favorable report from his highly rated School, as Head is not keen to encourage pupils to GS. DS also has had numerous reports from school bemoaning his lack of attention and care, however he always seems to know more than DD, and does as well in general school tests.
My question is how do to I approach the appeals process, and would it be a good idea to request the raw scores as we feel shocked at the difference in the second paper results?
The only thing i can think of, is after the first paper had finished, DS had name taken down by invigilator for holding in hands the packed away test papers in the pouch, when they had been asked to leave them on the table. Twins came out of exam room in tears, and we had to ask Invigilators what had happened. DS was very upset for next day or so, and i can only think this may have adversely affected his performance, as we genuinely thought he could achieve 125+ pre-standardization.
I've had a very tearful house to deal with this weekend - jubilation and despair, and any advice would be gratefully received.
Etienne

Re: Bucks 11+ appeal

Post by Etienne »

Sorry to hear your distressing news.
My question is how do to I approach the appeals process
I note what you say about support from the head, but what evidence of high ability will you be able to provide? This will be the key to a successful appeal in your situation.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... rs.php#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
would it be a good idea to request the raw scores as we feel shocked at the difference in the second paper results?
Not sure it will lead anywhere, but it will do no harm and might be of interest.
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

however he always seems to know more than DD, and does as well in general school tests.
That could be the key - even if the school is not particularly supportive, they should provide you with such essential information. Press them fairly hard for facts, even if kindly-worded letters are not forthcoming.

You do ultimately have the legal right to see your child's record (the appeal thread from "tco" will give your more information on that) but it is better to start with polite requests and then escalate the process as necessary.
HarryM

Post by HarryM »

Hi, thanks for the previous info. Had very interesting chat with HT today.
His opening comment was "you know this isn't going to be a positive report "!!
Any way after initial probing DS currently scores 5B in maths predicted 5A , 4A in English and predicted 5C in May.
His RAW scores are 70 and 70 in Bucks with marks gained 120 and 115.
He is October born.
We are going to appeal on academic grounds but will HT report with negative comments be acceptable?
DS has been called as "living in a fog" and "work in school is not up to required standard" today --- NOT TOO BAD as he still manages to be in top sets in M & E and 120 in 11+
any help you can give with appeal will be desperately received.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think you should respectfully ask the panel if they would consider your son's ability and academic potential rather than his actual achievement to date. You could gently point out that the 11+ is probably meant to be a test of ability and potential.

Secondly, you should draw the panel's attention to the fact that your son is stronger on the maths side, and the 11+ (limited as it is to VR) may not have given the most rounded picture of his ability. Be careful, though, not to go so far as to criticise the system!
DS also has had numerous reports from school bemoaning his lack of attention and care, however he always seems to know more than DD
No harm in briefly mentioning the twin. Although not strictly relevant, it might get you a bit of sympathy .....
And the use of words such as "numerous reports from school bemoaning his lack of attention and care" will tell the panel that you're being completely honest with them!
Etienne
HarryM

Poor Heads report

Post by HarryM »

I would value everyone's opinion as to my DS's present situation.
Saw my Head this morning and was told that my son (120, October born, predicted 5A Maths and 4C English, in top groups for M & E) would not get a good report for a Bucks Appeal- requested 1 week ago.
Received the report and aghhhhh! ****%%%****
Report states DS is "careless, lazy, no work ethic or pride in his work.........."
Report is Typed, not dated or signed.

We believe the report has been produced by his form teacher.
He has just done some class tests and gained 5B in maths and 4A in english --- the school obviously don't believe they can improve him further!

My question is this, Should we submit the report or not?
Will submitting such a foul and vindictive report work in favor of my DS or hold back the report, but how would i back up his Academic results??

Wife is in tears and I'm livid.
My DS is no angel but he is polite and if not a little absent minded.
Please help??
PS thanks Etienne for the post this morning but I had not received this lovely report then.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I've sent you a message.
Etienne
dinoo

Post by dinoo »

Hi Etienne,

I am in the same situation as HarryM. Etienne can you please advise HT report is 4:2 the predicted levels 4 in Maths and English. Although currently my DD is 4B in Maths and 4C in writing and the Bucks scores are 117 and 120.

The main concern highligted by her teacher when we met her are as below:

>> that my DD is good at reading but when put on stop for a question that is not directly addressed in the reading material, she get confused at times and is not able to answer.
>> that somtimes she takes time to grasp newly thought topics

Also the her recent school report has comments like 'untidy', 'lack of effort' and does not read regularly....althought on her Strengths' its mentioned 'Able to recall facts qucikly' and 'Always willing to try'.

The facts highlighted I think can be worked on and acheived as we go.

Wold appreciate if you could let me know your views on this if we stand any chance on the appeal with such comments. Please PM me and let me know

Many thanks

Dinoo
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry, Dinoo, I usually give advice on the forum only. (On the rare occasions I send a message, it's for a particular reason. :))
Etienne
HarryM

Post by HarryM »

Hi all

I thought i would give you guys an update on our predicament.
To recap. - DS scored 120 and his twin scored 141, in Bucks 11+.
DS and DD went on to comfortably pass Slough Grammar and Slough Consortium 11+.
We went to HT and asked support and a statement to send to Bucks appeal, what we received back was a shockingly bad and slanderous report with a 3:3 recommendation. (what was actually written was in bold SIGNIFICANT RESERVATION) - by the way sorry Etienne for not forwarding you the report.
However he was predicted a 5A in Maths and 4C in English.
To Prepare we had no further evidence in support apart from his other 11+ results, and no support from his school. We even requested written evidence of his SATS mocks in January where he scored 5A in Maths 5C in English and was at level 5C in Science, but this was not issued on Headed paper by the school.

To cut a long story short we had our appeal on Friday the 11th Feb, with little hope of success. We went in last, one hour ten minutes late!
The panel introduced themselves, a retired Head, a grandfather and another with 10 years of experience of appeals. We submitted our HT report as we felt so strongly that we needed to defend it for our son. Needless to say they asked many questions on the report and about DS and mitigating circumstances as to his non qualification. We had no reasons to his failure (120!!!), and nothing more academically we could give in support of our DS.
What we did give was his yr5 report, (Not too bad), stats. on the high performing OOC primary school, copies of his 11+ success and ALL his school books we could gather for the day - his teacher refused to supply his best work ( in maths, science and humanities) as she said he would need these books to work in on Friday!!

All in all, the appeal lasted about 1hr and 20 mins. after which both my wife and I were absolutely shattered but satisfied we had given our best shot. The panel were very nice, but asked the same probing questions, they also noted that the Head had not even bothered to sign the report. We replied as honestly as we could, and i felt that they had some sympathy towards us.

Well we received our letter today and SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't tell you how absolutely euphoric we feel. My DS wanted us to appeal! We hadn't shown him the report but we knew how disappointed he felt about it and the fact no teachers at his school had 'his back'. I feel very humble that someone actually believed us and have given our DS some fortitude in his own self belief.
The appeal process is not fair, and i feel so sorry for all you guys, who haven't quite made it. Only if you have gone through this process, do you realise how desperate you get in trying to get support for your child, and it makes it all the more sickening when the one place you should this help --- kick you and your child further down.
To those of you still waiting for their results or even the appeal itself, don't lose faith. Miracles can happen and we feel the one happened to us today.

Sorry to the moderators if this one took a lot of space, but to finish of i'd like to say a massive thank you for your guidance , you guys and all the contributors really help a lot of us out.
Anyway, allocations to look forward to on 1 March and younger DD 11+ this September!!!