parents advice (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Re: parents advice (Bucks)

Post by Guest55 »

Please don't take your son with you - that would be a big mistake.

You need to focus on why JHGS is right for your son - see the stuff on oversubscription appeals.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If you were very nervous at your previous appeal, and found it something of an ordeal, what would it be like for him (assuming he were allowed in)? And if the appeal happened to be unsuccessful, wouldn't the sense of 'rejection' be even greater if he had attended?

See also:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tell the panel how he reacted to the 11+, how committed he still is to JHGS, and why it would be the best school for him.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... school#c24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
Etienne
dad66

Post by dad66 »

Hi all ,
As this will probrably be the last of my infrequent posts i would just like to say thanks for all the advice and excellent information i have gleened from this forum.
After a very long (18mths ish) and sometimes heartbreaking journey for my family ,i am very happy to say that after an extended transfer appeal (altogether over 3 hrs) our son recieved the grammar school place that he has coveted for so long.
I found this appeal so different from the 11+ appeal which was probrably the worst day of my life, it was very nice (sorry not a good explanation but my head is still spinning) the panel were all very nice , plenty of eye contact and conversation and i actually felt sorry for the school rep with the grilling they recieved from the appeal panel.
Anyhow our appeal was upheld and we shall have one very happy boy this evening.
On a note , i hope that this will give hope to anyone reading it that are in the same position and remember (easy for me to say now) never give in , my sons desire to go to this particular school has kept us going through some dark times because all we all want is our children to be happy.
Again THANK YOU all for your help , sometimes we have felt all alone and it was great to be able to come here and talk about it.
All the best
David
KT36

Post by KT36 »

Hi, we were there too. Couldn't agree more that it was very different to the 11+ appeal.
The chair seemed to do all the work for us, I could hardly believe what was happening at some points. I certainly know now how to attack a schools argument :lol:
Yes, a long 18+ months but so glad at the outcome. Congrats to you and your son.. and who knows, may see you at a parents evening :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

As I wrote in this thread back in January 2011 "there have been many on this forum who suffered bitter disappointment in the short term, but for whom things worked out really well in the longer term."

Dad66 and KT36 have been on a very long, stressful journey, and I'm really delighted to hear that you have both triumphed in the end.

Well done for persevering!

One of my favourite quotations is: 'Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell and rose again.'

Huge congratulations to you and your children! :D
Etienne
totally_gutted

Post by totally_gutted »

Etienne wrote:
One of my favourite quotations is: 'Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell and rose again.'
Where is that blasted "Like" button when you need it? :D
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Absolutely fantastic news and hope for those of us who are still fighting!!!
Enjoy your sweet victory and good luck!
Gogi
x
AWorriedfather

Post by AWorriedfather »

Congratulations! There's your reward for all the hardwork you put in! Enjoy every bit of it! You're really a proud father. God bless

Not a Worried father :D
MollyB

Post by MollyB »

Congratulations dad66,well done for continuing with such firm belief in your child. Similar situation with a close friend of mine, their appeal was unsuccessful on 120 on both papers good sats predictions cat scores all above 121 a total shock for everyone.But their child sat the 12 plus passed with flying colours and entered Grammar school was put in top sets and the few that had successful appeals on much lower scores are in much lower sets and needing help!
Your child got in on his own ability and that is what is important as he goes through life - no appeals at GCSE and A'levels! very very very well done.
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

This quote made my day :)

Congrats dad66 & your courages DS & bet you can't wait to buy his school uniform.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now