Who's been for their appeal already?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
thefirs

Who's been for their appeal already?

Post by thefirs »

Just wondered if anyone whos been for their appeal already could let us all in on wht it was like, what they were asked, and whether they have heard the result yet !! :D
Etienne

Re: WHO'S BEEN FOR THEIR APPEAL ALREADY???

Post by Etienne »

And we'd very much welcome a full report at some point in the feedback section:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Cola

Re: Who's been for their appeal already?

Post by Cola »

Hi thefirs,

We had our appeal on Monday (10th Jan) this week, and I have to say, it was not at all what we had expected - the panel were very sympathic and made us feel at ease. The LEA lady started the proceedings by saying our DD had not scored the qualifying mark and had therefore not been granted a GS place. We were asked to make any comment at this point, which we didn't, I think this is the norm.

My husband then gave our presentation and gave the reasons why we felt she did not peform as expected, explaining our mitigating circumstances and gave evidence of academic ability. This only last about 5-10 mins and then the panel proceeded to ask us the following questions :

Did she finish both papers?

How did she feel she had done?

What is her reading and spelling age?

What is she currently reading?

We were then asked to leave the room while the panel looked through her work, and again, this was only about 5 mins!

The whole process lasted less then 20 mins, I dont know if this is a good or bad thing, you never know, only to say I am glad its over, and we now have everything crossed and looking out for the postman every 5 mins!

Good luck, and I hope it goes well.

Cola
thefirs

Post by thefirs »

Thanks for starting us all off , I will of course fill you all in next week on mine !
thefirs

Post by thefirs »

Went for appeal today, my
god what a terrifying experience . Don't think it went well no facial expressions or reactions . I waffled far too much . Will let u all know full details when I get result :-(
mrsmum

Post by mrsmum »

Having followed your posts I've been thinking of you all day, for what it's worth!

At least it's over now. Terrifying maybe, but behind you definitely! Have a big glass of wine and remember how hard you worked at this. Will keep thinking positive thoughts for you.
Woolford

Post by Woolford »

So sorry to hear that 'The Firs'.

For the rest of us, who haven't been yet, would you mind expanding on why it was so terrifying - so that at least we can TRY and be prepared.

:D
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

We appealed last year. For all of you all who have not had your appeal yet this year I would describe the process as formal but friendly. They are not offering you tea and biscuits but neither are the panel growling at you. The panels job is to pick through the evidence and this might require them to ask some probing questions but I believe they are not there to trip anyone up but just to get to a position where they are able to make an informed decision. Presenting your case in front of a panel is not something everyone will find easy but again the panel is used to everything from proficient presenters to people who stubble over every word. I had an extremely complex case, which consisted of low scores, SEN issues and extenuating circumstances and I broke down at the end of my summing up, apologised, paused, took a deep breath and continued. We all want the best for our children and they can cause us to be extremely protective and emotional.

Good luck to you all
thefirs

Post by thefirs »

Thanks for the support everyone, feeling beside myself tonight ! Woolford, I will try & expand for u! Here goes; mine was in the law courts over the road from county hall , heart was going a billion miles a hour (I went in alone) they were all friendly and introduced themselves & did the order of business . Then it was my turn to read my speech. Half way thru as I started to talk about ds effort etc & hardwork , my voice started to crumble, they were all v nice and asked if I wanted to stop, but I carried on. Eventually I made it to the end , & could breathe again ! I think it was the dead pan faces , not a glimmer of a reaction at all . They asked me the obvious how did ds feel before & after test, did he finish etc. What did he read etc. Then they scrutinised his Reading scores as we had a months difference & I explained the teacher had written them for me so what can I say. Then I had said that they were 1 1/2 yrs above av , she said that wasn't right & then I said I thought tests were taken in sept & she had oct , so that's the difference . Then they said there was a page missing from yr5 report (the tick chart) I had chosen not to put it in, so I had to explain why . Basically it felt like they were scrutenising every small detail . He had a 3 for effort & I had to explain why , had the teacher mentioned it before etc . More q's than I thought really & they just didn't react to anything . Be prepared at the end they say would u like to have the final word ? I couldn't physically think of anything else I hadn't said without using a cliche !!! Shaking in my boots by the end . Deep breaths . I am normally a very confident person but talk about realisation that it's out of your hands . Hope it helps u al. !!!
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Hi firs, hope you don't mind my asking, but what is the 'tick chart'??

I wasn't planning on bringing prior year reports, given I had already submitted a current report on all subject areas with the original letter, I figured that would be sufficient, but perhaps that doesn't look good?? :?

Hope it all goes well for you!