Appealing for place at Bourne Grammar

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rubyhettybetty

Re: Appealing for place at Bourne Grammar

Post by rubyhettybetty »

That is FANTASTIC Pinlion, So SO pleased for you - what a relief!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Excellent news! :D
Etienne
Alex

Post by Alex »

Good news - very pleased for you!
pinklion

Post by pinklion »

Thank you. We had a suspicion that he would get a second round offer last week because the school went in to talk to children who were going up to Bourne. The three boys with definite first round places were sent to see the new Year 7 head but then someone came back and said my son and his friend who were on the waiting list were to be included as well. They were told that it was not a guarantee they would get a place but we thought it was an unfair thing to do if they were unlikely to get a place, so we had a good feeling about it. Both boys have received postal offers this morning.

I bought the book "*****************" by ******. I will post it to the first person to pm me asking for it, free of charge (within the UK). I hope it helps someone.
pinklion

Post by pinklion »

Someone has pm'd me for the book, just to let people know it is going to a new home.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for making your kind offer. Now that it has been accepted, I've removed the title of the book as the forum would not wish to promote - even indirectly - individual publications that it cannot vouch for.

I did a review of a book on appeals (not this one) some years ago. In my view, it (the book - not the review :lol:) offered bad advice and revealed a very limited understanding of the system. As far as I could judge, the author couldn't possibly have ever sat on an appeal panel or received any legal training in appeals, or he wouldn't have written some of the things he did. Just goes to show how careful one has to be ........
Etienne
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Well done pinklion.....saw your post too late and really wanted to know how you win an appeal :D Etienne, are you suggesting these books are not worth the paper :lol: ?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not at all! :)
- but I wouldn't advise parting with any money without first being reassured that the author was properly qualified to write such a book. I would expect the blurb to give details of the author's previous experience (e.g. length of service on appeal panels, and whether it was in a large authority, dealing with a range of schools, including grammar schools).

The one book I have examined was misleading, and in my opinion some of the advice was bad.

All I'm saying is - Buyer beware!
Etienne
pinklion

Post by pinklion »

I totally agree you should be careful when buying a book or anything for that matter. I did read some reviews before getting this one but I cannot personally vouch for whether it is any good or not. I just thought if it gives me some ideas I haven't thought of then it might help and thought I could verify them with people here to be sure it was good advice, it was really to get the thought processes going, rather than taking it as gospel.
pinklion

Post by pinklion »

By the way, I can still see the title of the book, did you definitely remove it?

Also, we found out there were literally 4 places turned down so my son is number 150 and the very last person to get in this year! I felt quite sick when I found out how close we were to him not getting in, and then relieved! Wishing the best of luck to people still going through such a stressful time.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now