Appeal due to distance from school

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jksolns

Appeal due to distance from school

Post by jksolns »

Hi, my son did not get any of his school choices, Chistlehurst and Sidcup was his first choice after St Olaves but apparently we live 6.2 miles away . At the time of filling out the schools preference form I was told by Bromley that our distance was 5.2 which would have been great as this year they went out 5.4. Bexley said I should have called them and not relied on Bromley distance.

How do I appeal for this school as my son passed bexley exam. His head teacher has written a great support letter but do I stand a chance now that we are out of their distance.
Etienne

Re: Appeal due to distance from school

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!
How do I appeal for this school as my son passed bexley exam. His head teacher has written a great support letter but do I stand a chance now that we are out of their distance.
Assuming that distance has been correctly calculated by the admission authority, it rather depends on what sort of case you intend putting forward.

Have you seen the Q&As? For example:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bexley non-qualification appeals have been mentioned on here as being very tough, but I'm not sure what the experience has been when oversubscription is the only issue.
Etienne
jksolns

Post by jksolns »

Thank you very much for this information. Do you think I can emphasis that my borough gave me a distance to this school which was the main reason I put them first on my form. Bexley borough keep referring me to my borough so I did not realise they have another way of measuring distance.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

To be honest, I don't think this will help at all. An appeal panel will want to focus on why you now want a place at the school.
Etienne
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Hi,

Firstly, get on the waiting list, some places are offered in this way.
Secondly, appeal, its nothing to do with the waiting list and gives you a 2nd bite of the cherry.
Places have been offered via the appeal route to kids who have passed but who have been previously denied to due distance.

I don't think you will win the argument that Bromley told you one thing which appeared to be wrong.
Bexley Council will agrue that if you have appiled for a place at one of its schools then its admission criteria and the way measurements are taken are in its admission booklet for all to see. It's down to applicants to check the distance with Bexley Council.

What you will have to do is prove that your son needs this grammar school. I realise that he has passed his 11+ but if you add very strong academic evidence you might just be successful. Previously some parents have been!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Tracy wrote:I don't think you will win the argument that Bromley told you one thing which appeared to be wrong.
Bexley Council will agrue that if you have appiled for a place at one of its schools then its admission criteria and the way measurements are taken are in its admission booklet for all to see. It's down to applicants to check the distance with Bexley Council.
Agreed - there's no maladministration unless it was a mistake on the part of the actual admission authority, and it can be proved that this deprived jksolns of a place to which he/she would otherwise have been entitled.
Etienne
providence

Post by providence »

jksolns - as others have said, you really don't have much chance on appeal, but you do on the waitlist. There's a lot of movement and I'd be surprised if you're not in by July. Good Luck!
jksolns

Post by jksolns »

Thank you all so much for your words of advice. Hopefully, our son will be offered a place at this grammar school either by waiting list or appeal - God willing
jksolns

Post by jksolns »

Just had an appeal and I'm a bit concerned because right at the end they asked me whether I was on the waiting list, which I said no to - but mentioned I wanted to be, but the borough concerned only allow you to be on one waiting list. Hence , my son is on the other school of that borough's list which I also have an appeal for.

My question is , will not being on the waiting list for this school affect their decision as one of the panel said they were not aware I was not on the waiting list?

Also when asked if the school had gone over PAN, they said only for fair access protocol.

I know that Section 3.4 of school admission code says panels will disregard any increases under this protocol or due to appeals, so what is the point of asking this question if they will disregard previous appeals causing schools to go over their PAN?

I have the second schools appeal - which is in the same borough - in two weeks time.

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

My question is , will not being on the waiting list for this school affect their decision as one of the panel said they were not aware I was not on the waiting list?
It shouldn't affect their decision.
Also when asked if the school had gone over PAN, they said only for fair access protocol.
They're just doing their job - panels ought to check that, where the numbers have gone above PAN, there's a good reason, and everything has been done lawfully.

Good luck!
Etienne