KS2 Level 5 sub levels

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dilingard

KS2 Level 5 sub levels

Post by dilingard »

We are appealing against non qualification for Queen Elizabeths High School at Gainsborough. We believe that our daughter is in the top 25% in ability, but need to prove that. She is currently working at level 5b maths, level 5b reading and level 5a writing. She is the only child in her year group at level 5a for writing and above all 17 children who passed the 11+ in her year (her school is also one of the top performing schools in the county, so she is presumably one of the most able writers in her age group in the county). As we need to prove that she is within the top 25%, is anyone aware of any tables that show what % of pupils reach level 5a, 5b etc, so that we can measure her ability against her peers? She scored 217 against a qualifying mark of 220 which we believe was due to anxiety and stress prior to the papers.
hermanmunster

Re: KS2 Level 5 sub levels

Post by hermanmunster »

Sorry I'm not aware of any tables - I think it is because the sub-levels are not official levels (I'm sure someone will know the definitive answer).

You probably have already got the figures but i have found that:
32% in Lincolnshire got level 5 at KS2 in english - highest school was Bardney with 91%
and 34% got level 5 in maths - highest school was Reepham with 89%
Alex

Post by Alex »

I think you will find that the panel will be aware that these curriculum levels will place your child firmly in the top 25%; I don't think you need to prove it statistically, blow by blow as it were.
She is currently working at level 5b maths, level 5b reading and level 5a writing. She is the only child in her year group at level 5a for writing
Presumably you will have a letter from your primary school head confirming the levels and it would be helpful if he/she could draw attention to the fact that she is the only one at 5a for writing in a class where 17 passed the 11+. English writing has by far the lowest numbers at Level 5 overall for all tested SATS subjects - your school would have the figures who achieved it in previous years with a comparison against national levels.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think you will find that the panel will be aware that these curriculum levels will place your child firmly in the top 25%; I don't think you need to prove it statistically, blow by blow as it were.
I agree with Alex.

It's an argument well worth putting, although the correlation between SATs and grammar school entry is not always particularly good.

I would suggest focusing more on the range of available evidence:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now