Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
whitehart

Re: To appeal or not to appeal

Post by whitehart »

[color=#4000BF]Sorry
:(
I was meant to locate it before I submitted post!
The problem is I don't think ESSC operate such a system as their late applications need to be in by 7th February!
(Shall I move these comments over to the other thread?)[/color]
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

No problem- I've merged your threads. :) The waiting list was a general thread.

You need to contact your LEA and establish where you stand. You can point out that this policy is acceptable in Kent.

The admissions policy booklets seldom state where you stand in these cross border applications in regards to new or late applications.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Which LEA are you in? I've just noticed at the beginning of the thread it looks like you didn't get allocated any of the schools on your CAF.
whitehart wrote:so have had to accept a place at another local school not on our SCAF
Often, if the LEA have been unable to allocate any of your choices, they have slightly different and more generous rules about applications and waiting lists. Check your admissions booklet and see if there are different rules covering this situation.
whitehart

Post by whitehart »

Dear Mitasol

We live in East Sussex under ESCC and can only name 3 schools so we named 2 grammars and our feeder community college as a safety net but were given a more local community college not on our SCAF :(
Have looked at the admissions booklet and nothing else stated about late entries, I have emailed them and await their reply.
whitehart

Post by whitehart »

Dear Etienne

Can I combine the CAT scores to give an average of 124 (top 6%) or would they (the appeals panel) need a breakdown?

:?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/educationa ... nload3.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (see part 1)
If you wish to add to or revise your preference order you should write to
the Admissions Team explaining the basis for the change. As already
stated, the authority is not obliged to accept your request and will not
do so without a genuine reason although each case will be considered
carefully. If we agree to your request we will let you know in writing. You
will be required to complete a new application form if you wish to state
a preference for a school not named on your original application. If a
change of preference is accepted it will be considered in the same way as
late applications.
The timeline gives an opportunity for change after allocation day. Although the LEA state they are not obliged to allow a change of preference, I would hope that as they have been unable to allocate any of your preferences, they might be sympathetic.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

whitehart wrote:Can I combine the CAT scores to give an average of 124 (top 6%) or would they (the appeals panel) need a breakdown?
1. If you were worried at the thought "if I don't include them but am asked about them at appeal ......," then offering a bit of information about the CATs is much more likely to invite questions:
  • What exactly is the breakdown?
    Where is the evidence? (The evidence would normally include the individual scores).
2. Although the 2010 average CAT score is good, it's still a long way short of your DC's average score in the 11+, so I don't see how it assists the argument that the 11+ score was a blip.
Etienne
whitehart

Post by whitehart »

Dear Mitasol and Etienne

Thank you both for your swift replies!
E If we can assume that CATs and the Kent 11+ are comparable than you are correct and I will not include them will try to make the argument stronger in other area's instead.
M I will speak to ESCC today.
:?
whitehart

Post by whitehart »

Dear Mitasol

I emailed a letter to ESCC today and they have allowed me to change one of my preferences to another Kent School :D Which will probably mean 3 appeals and waiting lists to contend with but if we get the result my daughter would like worth all the effort! :lol:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Yippee! Well done Whitehart! :mrgreen: