To appeal or not to appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: To appeal or not to appeal

Post by Etienne »

Hi,

Could I just check - is the reference to CATs or to optional SATs?
Etienne
whitehart

Post by whitehart »

Dear Etienne

Sorry I meant her CATS scores in year 5 (2009) I could email these to you if required?

:oops:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

They were in the first email, but the formatting got lost in transmission, so it was a bit difficult to match what went with what.

I think I got the gist, but perhaps you could send them again, with each individual test on a separate line to play safe?

Thanks
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

You could try arguing that the trend was upwards, but the 11+ results were notably better than CAT scores anyway, so I think it could be difficult to argue convincingly that - based on the CATs - the 11+ results (maths in particular) should have been even better.

If one of the 2010 CAT scores had been outstanding (e.g. quantitative reasoning 140), it might have been easier to argue that the 11+ result was a blip.

Moreover, if the panel were to focus on the 6 individual CAT scores in isolation, only one of them falls within the top stanine.

It has to be a decision for you whether to submit the CATs, but I have concerns that they won't assist your case.

Sorry - just my view!
Etienne
whitehart

Post by whitehart »

Dear Etienne

Thank you for all your words of wisdom.
I will speak to our HT to see what other evidence we could use instead.

:?
whitehart

Post by whitehart »

...sorry Etienne I forgot to ask when you said that the 11+ scores were better than the CAT's does it mean that they are comparable like for like?
:?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Good question! It's probably easier to make a comparison in Kent because I understand that the 11+ is standardised on a national scale (just like CATs).

More difficult in some other authorities where the 11+ is specially standardised for the cohort taking the test.
Etienne
whitehart

Post by whitehart »

Dear Etienne

Thank you again will have to think carefully about this as I am worried that if I don't include them but am I asked about them at appeal it will look bad...

:(
whitehart

Late Secondary Application

Post by whitehart »

Dear All

I was told by KCC (I think I mentioned it in a previous post somewhere) that I could apply for a late secondary school application on the 4th April even though I am OOC.
However I have emailed them to be sure and they are now saying I can't because I am OOC!
Does anyone have any advice as I don't think ESCC operate such a scheme?

Thanks

:shock: :shock:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Please can you keep all your posts on the same thread even if you are changing topic. It makes it much easier to locate all the information. :)

(waiting list thread is here) http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 50#p234550" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was under the impression that you had to go through your own LEA.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now