st bernards appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chad

Re: St Bernards Appeal But wasnt top on my CAF Form :(

Post by chad »

Etienne wrote:I wonder how parents are meant to understand the process .......? :)
To be honest I don't think the appeal process for Slough has been 'fit for purpose'.
It is quite usual to get contradictory information from the schools and the LEA.
There are some 'not qualified' appeals heard in Feb & Mar which if successful would then automatically be a place offered to the child. This would obviously have an impact on the 'qualified but didnt get in because school oversubscribed appeals' that take place after March.

So you could have the scenario of a child who achieves 116 in their 11+ not getting in to a preferred school because on applying the premis of ' disadvantages of the child against the disadvantage of admitting an extra child to the existing class' it is decided that (having already admitted extra non-qualified on appeal) the disadvantage to the school is greater.
Confused!!!!! :roll:

Looking for help....... please stay around.. it is great to have another enquiring soul to try and see through the murky waters of the Slough Appeal System.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Don't worry chad, I'm not going anywhere, always looking to see if maybe I can help someone now. The funny thing is....we didn't have a chance to appeal before March despite non qualification, I suspect we may have had a better chance if that had been the case, as we were totally confused by what we were actually appealing against. I think we could convince the panel of academic ability, but did not address the issue which would then be oversubscription as well at that stage in the game. Anyway no great loss really in the end, son is happy and incredibly gifted and talented, apparently :roll:
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

Hi Loving Mum

Did you manage to get and appeal date for both LGS and St Bernards, did it work?
lovingmum

Post by lovingmum »

Sorry for the long delay .. did give a form into.st bernards too ... just had the appeal this week so fingers crossed :?
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

do you know how many are appealing with St Bernards?

When are you likely to get the outcome?
lovingmum

Post by lovingmum »

They said there were 70 appeals :( should find out in next 10 days .. what's ur situation ? Did u appeal there ?
slough mum

Re: St Bernards appeal but wasnt top on my CAF Form :(

Post by slough mum »

Have the results of the appeals come out for St Bernard's?
lovingmum

st bernards appeal

Post by lovingmum »

I've had my sons appeal two weeks ago at st bernards ... we were told that they had,accepted all places to 110 and with our son having 109 and them having 18 places left I was over the moon ... even the appeal guy said please sell ur son to us ... although we had head teachers support .. letter from year head all singing his praises and academically saying he was,able on line for 5's ... and got 5a in mocks ... so it went very well .... but ...

I received the letter yesterday to say she didn't make it and firstly the appeal should not have been heard as we put langley down before st bernards ...

I have spoken to the council and the lady there said that if I had the appeal at langley that would have counted for all in the consortium but that doesn't make sense as they have there own appeal panels ...

I know of at least 2 others and I'm very pleased for them ... whose children got in having a much lower mark and no special circumstances ... but had put st bernards down first on there list ... I feel my son has been cheated and the system is wrong ...

Where do I stand and what can I do ... just feel this is wrong and extremely unfair ...

I phoned the school back in Jan and spoke to there appeal secretary and said I really wanted to appeal there directly and she had said as long as u gave in forms u can ...

:(
Etienne

Re: st bernards appeal

Post by Etienne »

I think we would need to see exactly what the letter says.

Could you either scan it, or type it out in full, and email to the appeals box (follow link for confidential information at top of page)?
Etienne
lovingmum

Re: st bernards appeal

Post by lovingmum »

Will do that now ...thankyou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now