Requesting information from the school & other questions

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mendozv

Taking evidence to the hearing

Post by mendozv »

From your Appeals section, under academic achievement evidence which might impress :

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you highlight a number of things which might be good to highlight, for example, good SAT predictions. Our headteacher told us today that her predictions for our son are all 5s (maybe 6 for maths). And I do need it in writting, do I need to send it in advance, or can I take with us to the hearing on the day?
mendozv

Re: Taking evidence to the hearing

Post by mendozv »

sorry, before I should have said.... do I need this in writting? Ad if so, can I take it with us to the hearing, on the day, or must I send it in advance?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Mendozv,

Yes, you need to get the statement about SATs in writing, and the same applies to all other evidence.

Ideally, you should send all the evidence in advance, although it is acceptable to submit small amounts of evidence on the day - one or two sheets of paper, nothing too lengthy. If you submit too much evidence on the day, the panel might ask for an adjournment to allow them to study it in full.

Take enough copies for each panel member, plus one for the LA Rep and one for the clerk.

Sally-Anne
GranTourismo

Post by GranTourismo »

My written statement includes a reference from the headteacher stating that all he has achieved L5 in all his practice SATS therefore the school is confident he will achieve L5's this week. He got a L5 in Maths in Year 5. I also have an EP report that has some very good scores and comments about his ability. He's got a gold certificate for the primary maths challenge also. The only other evidence of academic ability will be from past years so is it necessary to include this or do I have enough? Is it better to concentrate on recent achievement?
Clare

Post by Clare »

I concentrated on evidence from this current year (6) and year 5.

I did state in my original letter all level threes at KS2 but nothing more than that.

I took a letter in on the day of the hearing that stated level 5 teacher assessment in Maths,English and Science.

I also took in two letters from Spanish and ICT teachers stating where he was ranked in the year.(His best subjects)

I also took in recent test papers where he had excelled.

I cherry picked the best books to take in.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

What you could do is take with you to the hearing other evidence (e.g. KS1 results, older school reports), and say to the panel:
  • "I realise how busy you must be and didn't want to over-burden you with paperwork. What I've done is focus on providing you with recent academic evidence, but X has consistently performed at a high level, and I've brought with me ............ which you are welcome to see if you need to."
Etienne
GranTourismo

Post by GranTourismo »

Great advice! Thanks Clare and Etienne.

I was worried that I was selling him short. I could go back and show good results but then didn't want to over-burden them with unnecessary evidence. It seems logical to me to focus on year 6 but like Etienne says I will take some evidence to show he has worked at a consistently high level throughout school.
mendozv

Re: Requesting information from the school ahead of the appe

Post by mendozv »

They came through with the information... I am not sure it will be of any help; nothing jumped at me regarding the previous/current numbers, that I think will help me. But at least the exercise shows that requesting the information formally (and quoting the appeal code) is more likely to get you the desired results (that trying to get it via a phone call)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now