Appeals Skinners'

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sp

Re: Appeals Skinners'

Post by sp »

Just wanted to say well done to you all for going through this horrible procedure. Whatever the outcome, and I understand the disappointment for many of you, you will never wonder "what if...". We thought long and hard a couple of years ago and decided to do 2 appeals for DD, knowing there was very little chance. Both appeals failed but at least we did as much as we could, as DD had already done as much as she could.
kaloosam

Post by kaloosam »

I am so pleased. It helps me to think that someone with a genuine and sensible approach has made it. I wonder how many did.

Congratulations - champagne tonight?
Redsnapper

Post by Redsnapper »

Congratulations Laura,That's great news :D
Commiserations tigger and kaloosam, you have my utmost sympathy.
Hey, at least its all over and it's a gorgeous day :)
Sharky

Post by Sharky »

We had good news also, we have won our appeal also. We are so chuffed.

Tigger, sorry to hear you did not have the result you hoped for and also anyone else out there.

Well done laurash you must be so thrilled, congratulations.

This site has been such a help, thank you to everyone.
laurash

Post by laurash »

Thanks for all the good wishes from everyone. It's difficult to say you have good news when others don't but I can honestly say that this forum has been very helpful and supportive throughout the last 6 months and without it I would have felt alone and lost. Congratulations to sharky( whoever you are!!).
laurash

Post by laurash »

Sorry- Redsnapper meant to ask if you have had your appeal yet or are you still waiting for the outcome?
rbeck31

Post by rbeck31 »

I have been reading all your posts with interest because with a very-much-borderline score I have a feeling that we might be having to go through the appeals procedure this coming year.

I therefore wanted to ask all your advise about what sort of things you think would form the basis of a SUCCESSFUL appeal - what do you think differentiated the successful appeals from those that were not.

I hope, having finished all this 11+ stuff, that you might still be reading these forums and could help me!

Many thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Individual posters may wish to comment, but have you seen the feedback section?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's also a lot of advice in the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
laurash

Post by laurash »

Hi rbeck31

We found that evidence was the key. We had lots of evidence to show that our DS had underperfomed in one area. His score was also very, very close to to the cut off score and this seems to have applied to other successful appeals as well. Additionally we made a good case explaining why it was the perfect school for him.
Sharky

Post by Sharky »

Hi rbeck31

Lets hope your not to borderline and you just sail through. Can I ask what your score was? I presume Skinners is your first choice.
When we appealed we were only a couple of marks off the cut off score. We also had mitagating circumstances which I think defo helped our case.
To begin we spoke about why we thought the school would suit DS and what appealed to him as he walked around on open day etc. We also had evidence of his year 5 cat scores, and predicted year 6 sats scores and early year 6 report. Our headteacher only gave us the print out of the scores and about one sentance about DS as support which was useless in my opinion. I do feel that we maybe went abit overboard in our opening statement about how academic he is (although he is v bright) and what subjects he was interested in. By the end of the appeal we were just completely honest and said that he was certainly not a boy who loved sitting/studying all day and that I would be lying if I said he was, he would rather be out playing with his mates but found learning easy. We did not show any evidence of work ie text books ect.
Good luck, hopefully you may not need it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now