Prejudice & other questions

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

appealnmare

Re: Prejudice & other questions

Post by appealnmare »

It is a bit of an odd one - from first place to last place offered there was a difference of 65 marks.

My DS was 6 marks off last place offered.

There is a ranking system in place but the school does not publish anywhere in its admission arrangements at what point they deem pupils to be "not of grammar school ability" last place offered was in the 330's and my son was in the 390's.

On the grapevine (again, not published information) I have heard that the cut off on ability is at ranking 370 which I am led to believe is 0.5 mark off my son's score!

The whole process is very frustrating and the school are not co-operating with requests for information.
catcool

Post by catcool »

appealnmare wrote:It is a bit of an odd one - from first place to last place offered there was a difference of 65 marks.

My DS was 6 marks off last place offered.

There is a ranking system in place but the school does not publish anywhere in its admission arrangements at what point they deem pupils to be "not of grammar school ability" last place offered was in the 330's and my son was in the 390's.
Sorry bit confused here probably me. You say last place went to score of 330 and your ds was 390's so I am not clear where the 6 marks off comes from.
How many papers do they sit and what type. Did they not give the individual scores at the appeal so it could be seen when he fell ill and how it affected the marks thereafter, If he had been doing well so far then the panel could have taken a view on how much better he would have done but for falling ill.
Last edited by catcool on Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

think appealnmare was talking about ranking rather than score - hence the reason why alower number on the ranking is more likely to lead to getting a place..
appealnmare

Post by appealnmare »

Yes, it is on ranking.

I do not know how many the tests are out of and so therefore do not know whether he did progressively worse as the tests went on. I would have asked for the information but after reading the code I though that would be classed as them being asked to devise their own method!?! I am confused!
appealnmare

Post by appealnmare »

It does make me wonder how anyone outside the 370 mark gets in. If no-one does then surely this is an unfair process?
catcool

Post by catcool »

appealnmare wrote:Yes, it is on ranking.

I do not know how many the tests are out of and so therefore do not know whether he did progressively worse as the tests went on. I would have asked for the information but after reading the code I though that would be classed as them being asked to devise their own method!?! I am confused!
The code says that the panel have to consider any factors which the parent contends may have affected the child's performance and that would include illness etc .They then have to go on and consider clear evidence that supports the parents claim that the child is of the required standard .
To my mind that would involve looking at the marks before the child fell ill and then looking at the academic evidence . Yes they must not devise ther own method but looking at school reports is not devising their own method.
appealnmare

Post by appealnmare »

That's what I was hoping for but they did not seem to share the view. My son would have qualified for a place based on the mock test he sat two months earlier but they would not even consider that as a guide!
appealnmare

Post by appealnmare »

The mock test run by the admissions authority!
Alex

Post by Alex »

Mock test, familiarisation test or practice test results are often not regarded as "good" evidence as in many cases they are not changed from year to year so may possibly have been seen by candidates or tutors.
appealnmare

Post by appealnmare »

.. That's what I thought and I did not use it anywhere in my written statement - I would no have even mentioned it but the appeal panel asked me! Which seemed rather pointless if they had no intention of considering it??