academic evidence from the head- what will I need?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jenny wren

academic evidence from the head- what will I need?

Post by jenny wren »

Hi anyone

I've been trawling through this section all day and don' feel so alone now! Let me pick your brains please.

The head is supporting us with our appeal.
What academic indicators should she present at the appeal?
Should I take along any of my son's work?

He was 17 marks below the threshold which is a lot I know but we do have mitigating circumstances to present.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Jenny Wren
chad

Post by chad »

If you haven't done so already... Click on the 'Appeals Q & A' at the top of this page... there is a wealth of information regarding evidence to submit. (See section B11)
If you have further questions then please come back and ask.
jenny wren

Post by jenny wren »

Thanks Chad

The Q&A section has proved to be invaluable. In fact it was what inspired me to go to appeal. After I had read the section I realised that we actually did have a case to argue.

From what I have read I should make sure that we include CAT scores with percentile ratings, predicted sats scores and I don't know if the school does the OoS ratings or not.

Jenny Wren
chad

Post by chad »

I believe that only some areas (bucks is one) do an OoS from the head. It may well be that your area do not do an OoS.

It seems that most appeals need a very good academic record. Predicted 5's in Sats (High 5's would be even better) and a strongly worded letter of support from his current head (and year class teacher). words like 'extremely able' or 'very confident and able' or 'strongly recommend'
together with exercise books that show high level work (one tip that was given was to mark with 'post its' the work you would like the panel to see... as they can then turn to the work/comments without trawling thru the whole book.)

If you have CATS test results that show a high result then that would be an added bonus.

As Etienne has said - The panel are looking for the answer to 2 questions Has your child has the ability to do well in a grammar school... and why did they not achieve the result on the day.
jenny wren

Post by jenny wren »

Thanks Chad

I shall check with the head tomorrow.
Not sure about taking his books -his handwriting leaves a lot to be desired. Typical left hander boy!!!!!!!!!!

Regards
Jenny Wren