Year 8 appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

callyj20

Year 8 appeal

Post by callyj20 »

My DS failed the 11+ by 2 marks 2 years ago having not been tutored or even done any practice papers. We were simply told on parents evening that he would sail through and the exam would not be a problem for him. Anyway, we appealed and were unsuccessful due to not proving his academic ability. He has since gone onto the local comp and in all fairness to the school he is doing very well. Last week we recieved a letter saying he has been put on the Gifted & Talented register based on his CAT scores and sporting ability. This has got me thinking.....

He is at present level 6a in maths, 6a in science and tech, 6c in geography, RE and ICT and 5a in English and History. Does this sound like grammar school end of year 7 levels?

His present school don't do much homework at all, in fact most of it is voluntary and the homework he does get probably takes 15 minutes a couple of nights a week at most. His end of year level for maths was 6a (7c for his last 2 assessments) and his end of year target for year 8 is 6a?????? This is but 2 of the 'issues' I have with the school.

What I need advice on is whether or not this is worth another go at an entrance exam and appeal? He is really keen to have another go so should I push for another try at it or leave him where he is top of his year and full of confidence. His little brother has just passed the 11+ and will probably get a place so I would be easier for me if they were at the same school.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
hermanmunster

Re: Year 8 appeal

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Cally

Which area are you in? if we know then may be able to give specific info re the 12+ / 13+ test etc.
callyj20

Post by callyj20 »

This would be for Kings, Grantham, Lincs.

Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

hmm - they don't say a lot on the website do they:
Admission post 11+
Applicants for entry into Years 8-11 will be required to take nationally standardised tests to assess their suitability for admission to the school. The school will make appropriate arrangements for those candidates whose first language is not English.
The parents/carers of any applicant who is not offered a place have the right to appeal to an independent panel whose decision will be binding on both the school and the appellant.
Maybe Alex has more experience of later entrance in Lincs...
callyj20

Post by callyj20 »

Thanks for looking, I have rang Kings and they said they are 4 over the PAN for that year so if he passed the test we would definitely need to appeal. There aren't any boys on the reserve list for his year though. I think we may have one last stab at it and if it doesn't work at least we will have tried :?:
Alex

Post by Alex »

King's used to use CATS testing, done online, for entrance exam to the higher year groups. I think, but am not certain, that they now use MidYis which is very similar for all year groups from 8 to 11. I am not sure what the expected scores are though. I do know that at oversubscription appeals for children who have "passed" these tests the school have said what the average score for the particular Year group is and what the scores for the child in question were so that the panel have a "benchmark". The school is usually helpful when asked for information so I think they would tell you what would constitute a "pass" on these tests and whether they expect a "pass" on all the tests or only as an average across the three.

I don't know whether his present school would let you know the results of his last CATS tests - it might be worth asking. Gifted and Talented probably means that he is within the top 10% of scores in his year group in his present school, so it is not really possible to tell whether this will equate to being in the range that King's are looking for. With the actual scores you could probably judge a little better. His NC levels, I think, would be within the range expected at GS, but these are measuring something rather different from what 11+ or CATS or MidYIS measure.

It has been known for one of the non selective schools in Grantham to strongly back one of their children's appeals for King's and write a letter of support.

I will dig out a little bit more information for you and send you a PM.
callyj20

Post by callyj20 »

Well, I've finally had the call this morning that Kings will test DS. They have set the date for next Wednesday which does not give a lot of time for preparation. This may or may not be a good thing! I am now undecided as to tell anyone but DS to ease the pressure. His Dad may be able to help with prep but he does tend to get a little stressy :? . Has anyone any experience of the entrance exam and what prep, if any, we could do between now and Wednesday?

Everything crossed for our last attempt...I won't be doing this again!
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I just wanted to say fingers crossed for you and your DS Cally. :)
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Dear Callyj2o,

Wishing your DS goodluck for Wednesday, i know what you are going through as we are in a similar situation.

On your comment about tutoring, unfortinately its not a level playing field out there, children are so intensely tutored, doesnt matter how clever your DS is, the bar is raised, eventhough the intelect maybe shortlived for some children once the tuition stops. Thats not a criticism, just fact.

Good luck, everything crossed for you!

Q
x

Im certainly not critissising the parents who do it as its
callyj20

Post by callyj20 »

Thank you for your best wishes. DS took the test on Wednesday morning. I have to say, I could have timed it better! The test was booked for 9 am, the exact moment the boys came out of registration for their first lesson! DS stood out a mile walking through the quad with his mother and in his present school uniform! Probably something to think about if anyone else is thinking about doing the same thing?

The test consisted of Verbal, Non Verbal and Mental Maths. DS said all were "fine". I joked that if the test contained Non Verbal he may as well get up and leave there and then (failed this on 11+) but he said it was easier than the 11+ and was mainly moving shapes and pictures around to different angles. The admissions officer said we will hear in around a weeks time and she will write with a pass or fail. They do not give a mark. We decided to go with no preparation. I didn't want him getting stressed out about the whole thing and I feel the test is more likely to test his academic ability with including the maths section.

I note that The Kings School are open on Wednesday for the Strike when DS's school are closed to all but year 7 & 8, making it optional for 7 & 8 to attend if they want to????? DS will be going, pity I can't send him when they close for an inch of snow! :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now