AGGS Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

aggsmum

AGGS Appeal

Post by aggsmum »

Hi,

My daughter failed the AGGS exam by 1 mark, and we want to appeal. I was wondering, could anybody shed some light on the process and also does anybody know when the hearings are?

Thank you very much.

aggsmum
TraffordMum

Re: AGGS Appeal

Post by TraffordMum »

Hello and welcome. I'm sorry you had to make your first post in relation to an appeal.

Just for the record please can you confirm which school and county you are talking about, since several of the grammar schools share abbreviations. (I don't want to assume that you are talking about Altrincham Girls, which is the school I call AGGS!)

Have you read the announcement and Q&A about appeals? If not, you can find them here. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=8255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully this will answer some of your questions and then when we know exactly which school we are talking about we can talk specifics.
aggsmum

Post by aggsmum »

Whoops, sorry, I do mean Alty girls! And I have read through the appeals topic, it is very helpful.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Excellent.

You need to make sure Alty Girls is somewhere on your CAF that you have to submit by 31st October. You can't be allocated it because your daughter has just missed out on the pass mark, but you will then be able to appeal for it once allocations are made on 1st March.

You will need to contact the school post-1st March to ask for the appeal documentation. Once you have completed it and submitted it to the school an appeal date should be offered within 30 days. Last year I believe appeals took place right up until the early days of July.

You will be appealing both on grounds of non-qualification and on grounds of over-subscription, because by the time your appeal is held all places at AGGS will have been allocated. The Q&A deal with the differences between these two types of appeal.

In order to get over the non-qual hurdle, being only 1 mark under the passmark is not much of a hurdle to overcome but you will need to be able to show that your daughter is working at a very high level and that her head strongly supports your appeal. One advantage of the Altrincham exams being held in September is that hopefully by May/June of the following year you will be able to show compelling evidence of how your daughter's work has improved. Was it one area she fell down on?

I have to say that AGGS is a tough one to win an appeal for, and has got tougher over the last few years. I have seen girls get in where there was a clear travesty (super bright girl) or good mitigation (serious family illness, only moving to country 3 months pre-exam) but I have seen many more miss by a few marks and not get in.

Has your daughter passed any of the other grammar exams? That is a question that is often asked at the AGGS appeals.

Other than this I have no expertise in crafting an appeal. There is great information on this site, though, and several people who give up a lot of their time to advise parents going through appeals. So please, read, inwardly digest and then ask questions. And, good luck!
aggsmum

Post by aggsmum »

Thank you very much TraffordMum. You've been a great help.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now