question for Etienne/professional advice

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest120

question for Etienne/professional advice

Post by Guest120 »

Etienne, I am going down the appeal route now for my son. When I google 11 plus appeal there are a couple of websites that offer professional advice/help, I am interested to know whether or not you think it is worth it and if anyone using this site has ever had any experience of such services. Many thanks
SJ

Post by SJ »

Guest 120

It might help people advise you if you stipulated what area you are from.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In my opinion this site - especially Etienne - is better than anything and FREE!

We do need more details if anyone if going to help - do have a look at the advice - follow the link above.
Guest120

Post by Guest120 »

SJ wrote:Guest 120

It might help people advise you if you stipulated what area you are from.
I am applying for one of the Southend schools, son just missed it, am going to appeal even though I realise my chances are slim as he scored under the pass mark. I would love to hear if anyone gets through on the grounds of having a bad day, did worse than expected etc. I am trying to gather as much info as poss/trying to get a letter from the school to back me up. I don't feel very optimistic at the moment but feel the need to give it a go.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

See the appeal Q & A above.

You need academic evidence - to show that your child is suitable for a Grammar school [level 5 KS2 predictions], high CATs or equivalent.

Mitigating reasons - why was it an 'off day' - hopefully someone from your area will get back to you later.

If you decide to use a firm check they have done successful appeals in your area - ask for references!
Guest120

Post by Guest120 »

Guest55 wrote:See the appeal Q & A above.

You need academic evidence - to show that your child is suitable for a Grammar school [level 5 KS2 predictions], high CATs or equivalent.

Mitigating reasons - why was it an 'off day' - hopefully someone from your area will get back to you later.

If you decide to use a firm check they have done successful appeals in your area - ask for references!
thank you, I appreciate it
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest 120
I am interested to know whether or not you think it is worth it
A recent article in the Times suggested that these companies charge around £2000. Cheaper than private school, but not very cheap if they don't succeed. Do make sure that you check their knowledge of your area, and ask for a local reference - preferably a telephone number, so that you can be sure the reference is fairly local to you - at least within County.

The main issue with such companies seems to be that their approach can be "formulaic", and spotted very easily by panels. Also, they really cannot know your child as you do.

If you want to look into DIY, do take a good look through the posts on Essex - I recall some information on appeals for Southend this time last year, before this Appeals thread was created.

Good luck
Sally-Anne
Etienne

Re: question for Etienne/professional advice

Post by Etienne »

Dear Guest120

It is my belief that cases are won or lost on the fundamentals. There's not much you can actually do about them. Either you have them (e.g. strong academic evidence, mitigating circumstances), or you don't. Presentation is not going to make much difference.

My honest opinion is that parents are better off presenting their own case. If they have any difficulty, or there is a risk that something important might be overlooked, appeal panels have an "enabling role" - they tend to be especially sympathetic, and will gently try to elicit any missing information.

I'm not saying that appeal panels discriminate against parents with professional representation, but their "enabling role" is no longer the same, and I always sensed a change in the atmosphere (it became more business-like).

No doubt there are companies that will point to successful appeals they have been involved in. Parents have no way of knowing, of course, whether these appeals would have succeeded without the professional help (or even whether they succeeded despite the professional help - I certainly heard appeals that came into the latter category).

If I were checking up on a "consultant", my first question would be:
Have you ever served on an appeal panel?,
the second question would be:
For how many years?,
and then:
How many appeals did you hear during that time?
What percentage were against non-qualification (or oversubscription)?
For which authority?
Do you mind if I approach them for confirmation?
What training did you receive, and how often?

If your son only just missed the pass mark, then I don't think you need too much in the way of extenuating circumstances, and perhaps "nerves" or an "off-day" will do. You do need some strong academic evidence, but you will either have this or you won't - it's not something any "expert" can invent.

Just my views ....... Hope they're of some help.
Etienne
Guest120

Post by Guest120 »

thank you Etienne, you have said just what I was thinking. The problem is I feel so down about it all you forget all logic and I do actually believe there is always money to be made out of people's pain (not to say that these people may do a good job). Thinking about it if I was on a panel I would prefer to hear the evidence from loving parents than a professional. Thanks again, you are such a wonderful person helping us all out.
ThursdaysGirl

Post by ThursdaysGirl »

Guest120 wrote: The problem is I feel so down about it all you forget all logic
Big Hugs. Logic is for the relaxed amongst men. ;)

Take care and the best of luck.
Thursdays Girl. :)
One World, One People, US!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now