Y8 Appeal confused - Etienne & Team can u help??

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Gogi

Y8 Appeal confused - Etienne & Team can u help??

Post by Gogi »

Etienne i have read the thread on "Entrance Appeals for Y8" and my questions are similar but not sure if it applies to NYorkshire. We have been through the selection and the statutory appeal as DS didnt achieve pass mark. I have been told he can be retested next year and then go for appeal again if we need to however reading your advice...specificcally aroung time scale can i insist on him being tested now? Their argument was that he can't be retested in the same year? If its academic year well then that will have lapsed as he actually sat the test in Sept 2010. Does he need to wait untill the beining of next year?
My big worry is that he will be tested on the core subjects but EGS is in a different league to the school he is at...the longer we leave it the further behind he will get if his school are not ontop of the curriculum as EGS are...
He is in the top sets at school, they did CAT tests and internal tests and he achieved outstanding marks. Hes bored and needs challenging and trying to teach him what EGS will test him on at home is tough for me...im not a teacher and the school are not even covering the core sciences yet although he is enjoying it...MAD! I however am dreading in silence the months ahead.

I have recently learnt also from the LO and looking at the appeal papers that the schools evidence was insufficient. I went in to school and was told that i should have spoken to the deputy who had all the raw data, books, cat data ets and evidence for DS and she was the best one to approach for appeals. She was happy to resubmit the evidence directly to school as new evidence but they refused, in the nicest possible way but im devastated by this news.

What should i do? Should i challenge the school again?

Q
x
Etienne

Re: Y8 Appeal confused - Etienne & Team can u help??

Post by Etienne »

Hi Gogi

I'm afraid you can't insist on your son being tested now. If you apply for entry in September 2012, then - broadly speaking - it would be reasonable for an admission authority to consider your application (and to administer any tests) no later than the preceding summer term.
She was happy to resubmit the evidence directly to school as new evidence but they refused, in the nicest possible way
Sadly I think the school are probably within their rights. Technically an admission authority will only agree to a fresh appeal if there is significant new evidence that was not available, and (crucially) could not have been made available, at the time of the original hearing.
Etienne
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Gogi - I think any tests for year 8 entry are done later in the academic year - after they have had a chance to do some year 7 work. Also allowing for people moving into the area etc.

I do know of kids who started in year 8 having been at another local school for year 7, but as Etienne says it doesn't get sorted this early in the academic year. appreciate it is difficult persuading kids to work at home :roll: but I am sure that EGS will be aware of what has been taught at other schools when they do the assessments.
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Thanks Etienne,

I went directly to the school, should i approach the LA?

Any statistics on success rates of Year 8 appeals when the school is full at EGS...i feel like thats all i'll be doing and have been doing..

So greatful for this site and your advice, only wished i had discovered it before i appeal last year.

Q
x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I went directly to the school, should i approach the LA?
The difficulty (as far as I can tell) is that the evidence was available at the time - it's just that it wasn't produced. However, if the LA is the admission authority, you could see what they have to say.
Etienne
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Thanks Hermunmunster, I have to say the school have been great and i hope they do take the issues into account as i would imagine it may apply to most children. The school DS is at the moment dont do sep sciences and so are studying nothing that remotely looks like the KS3 curriculum Feel like im home schooling him which is tougher on me i think...hes doing great and taking it in his stride, dont think i could do this if he wasnt wanting it as well.

Etienne. i will try the LA, would expect they are getting used to me by now, take on board that the evidence was available at the time but not to me? His primary school are so keen to put right their failing and me being so inexperirenced last year thought a letter gushing about DS would be enough, however it lacked evidence and substance..all the time school held compelling evidence but the head /dep head obviously didnt discuss.

Many thanks.

Q
x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

take on board that the evidence was available at the time but not to me?
The fact remains that supporting evidence existed at the time, and there is an expectation that you would have asked the school for it. However, if there was a clear failure on their part to provide that evidence despite a specific request from you (and I see no reason why you should be expected to know the 'best' person to approach), then you might be in a stronger position.

It might be worth mentioning to the LA that you are only pursuing this because the LGO alerted you to the fact that the evidence from the school was inadequate.
Etienne
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Thank you, LEA are looking into it......

Will keep you posted.

Q
x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's worth a try - good luck! :)
Etienne
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

OMG ...The LEA want to see the schools evidence and then they will decide if they can consider my request! Im seeing the primary school Tuesday...Please advise what actual evidence i should come away with. School are getting all his data/exam results but i dont want to miss anything.

Should i also ask his current school for evidence. He has done exams and had CAT tests and were put into ability sets couple of weeks ago. Or will that evidence be dismissed as it has nothing to do with the period in question...ie ability at primary school, i suppose it could demonstrate that he can cope with Yr 8 GS level work?

Please help, dont want to get my hopes up but it feel like its a life line?

Q
x