Y8 Appeal confused - Etienne & Team can u help??

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Re: Y8 Appeal confused - Etienne & Team can u help??

Post by Etienne »

Try to keep calm (easier said than done! :)) - it's still only a possibility. Even if an appeal were to be granted, it could well take a minimum of a week or two to arrange, and on top of that you would be entitled to a fortnight's notice.

The range of evidence that might be possible in year 6 is set out here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I see no reason why this cannot be updated if further (good) evidence is available in year 7.

If the year group is already up to its admission number, you will also need reasons for wanting a place at the school you're appealing for. See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Thanks Etienne...im very calm thanks and agree the process could be longwinded...or over in a flash if they send me packing.

Its been quite a journey and full of disapointment/frustration/sorrow/tears and tantrums, but some tiny glimmers of hope...lets see how we get on.

Q
x
Gogi

Re: Y8 Appeal confused

Post by Gogi »

Dear Team,

I have sent you a PM.

Please can you advise what the next steps should be and whether there are any?

Gogi
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Gogi

Very sorry to hear your news. As I understand it, the ombudsman has investigated your statutory appeal, and not found maladministration. (Only the conduct of the hearing can be investigated, not the panel's judgement which is meant to be final.) In theory the only remaining option would be to seek a judicial review - but the focus would still be on whether the hearing was conducted properly, not on whether the panel made the 'right' judgement. I wouldn't advise that route, because even if you had the time and money, I can see no reason why the outcome of a judicial review would be any different from that of the ombudsman's investigation.

There was a slight chance that the admission authority might have granted a fresh hearing if they thought there was significant new evidence, but sadly they have decided against this after (as far as I can tell) looking carefully at all the information provided.

I may have confused you with my last post where I was talking about the sort of evidence that might be presented if a fresh appeal were to be offered. (It followed on from "Even if an appeal were to be granted, it could well take a minimum of a week or two to arrange, and on top of that you would be entitled to a fortnight's notice".)

I'm really sorry I cannot suggest any further steps, but I think you have fought really hard for your son, exhausting all the current possibilities. My advice would be to focus now on trying to get entry for next year.
Etienne
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Thank you for your kind words and your support. I have to ask...what did i leave out? was it that the decision was too harsh or that my case wasnt strong enough? You must see many cases, i thought ours was very strong??

Thanks
Q
x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Gogi

If you're referring to the statutory appeal, it's difficult to comment without having seen all the paperwork (and heard all the other appellants' cases as well!).

I'm not sure you yourself left anything out - it looks to me as if you did the very best you could in the circumstances. I suspect there's a clue in the ombudsman's comment about academic evidence from the primary school. Even with the opportunity to submit further evidence from year 6, I wonder just how wide-ranging it was?

Secondly, the further away from the qualifying mark, the harder it usually becomes to win an appeal. Both the academic evidence and the extenuating circumstances would probably need to be quite compelling.

Thirdly, I can fully understand why you did not seek to defer the test, but I don't know if you alerted the admission authority to any of the extenuating circumstances at the earliest possible opportunity. Tactically this would be a wise precaution in case of an appeal at a later date.

Last but not least, there's an element of luck in appeals. I know that's of little comfort, but it's inevitable when panel members have to make difficult judgements. Human beings are fallible! (The only thing that is required of panels is that they follow all the proper procedures and do not neglect to consider any of the evidence.)

All this is just speculation on my part, however. I'm afraid the fact remains that the only opinion that matters is the one belonging to the appeal panel hearing your case! :(

I hope things will work out well in the longer term - in my experience they often do. :)
Etienne
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Thank you Etienne,

I am very greatful for your advice and kind words of reasurance. They mean alot!
Merry Christmas all, and a very happy successfull appealing New Year!!

Gogi
x