What causes some appeals to be unsuccessful? (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MrsChubbs

Re: What causes some appeals to be unsuccessful? (Bucks)

Post by MrsChubbs »

Anecdotally I have heard of a couple of appeals on 120 (both papers) that didn't get through as the panel felt that there was not enough evidence in the school books that the children were consistently working at level 5 (as predicted for their SATS). These children were particularly good at performing in maths and english tests. I know that you don't have to show the books, but if your teachers think that the books show consistent evidence it looks as though it is worth taking them.
What do you think Etienne?
Mrs C
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The more good evidence, the better! :)
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would certainly show exercise books, and the year 5 report - but only if they support your case!

It's a shame if a child with 120/120, who performs really well in maths and English tests, were to lose an appeal because work in exercise books was not thought good enough. (I suspect the converse is more common, i.e. the very diligent pupil whose routine work is always good, but who never quite 'delivers' in tests.)
Etienne
English Emilia

Post by English Emilia »

I do have a slight concern about the exercise books, in that my school does not, apparently, keep exercise books after the end of the year, so I only have Year 6 exercise books and there doesn't seem to be a lot of concrete evidence in them that my DD is working at level 5. In fact, there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of substantial work at all in any of them apart from Maths. I'm just a bit worried that it may seem like very flimsy evidence. Her homework book has a lot more detailed work but there is, of course, no way that I can prove she did the work on her own. I'm assuming it would look very suspicious if I don't take exercise books but could they undermine my case? Also, would she be expected to be at level 5 already? My Head's letter makes it very clear that she is a comfortable 5b in reading but a "high" 4a in writing and maths. She says that she fully expects her to achieve level 5s in all subjects by the end of the year. I'm beginning to panic now that this won't be enough.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm assuming it would look very suspicious if I don't take exercise books
Not in itself - although there could be an issue about whether there is sufficient evidence of high ability overall. However, if the work in the exercise books isn't good enough .......
could they undermine my case?
...... yes (depending on the panel).
Also, would she be expected to be at level 5 already?
With 5 months to go, I would suggest at the very least 4a standard.
Etienne
English Emilia

Post by English Emilia »

I do have evidence in her exercise books that her last few pieces of work have all been level 5 (writing tasks) and her teacher has also said that she is "borderline" 4a/5c for Maths. Unfortunately they will not be doing any official assessments between now and our appeal, so how do I show that she is now basically level 5 in everything? Can I get the school to give me a brief letter to that effect, to take with me to the appeal? The Head's letter only states that she is predicted level 5s in everything - it doesn't include sub-levels. Also, I hadn't thought to include her KS1 results (all level 3s). Can I take her Year 2 report to the appeal with me, which gives her SATs results, or will they say that I should have submitted it as evidence beforehand. The only report I sent a copy of was her Year 5 one as the school advised me not to bombard them with reports. Otherwise, can I ask the school for a summary sheet of her KS1 results? I'm not sure how much new (brief!) evidence I'm allowed to take with me. I have read that I can take short "extras" as long as I take several copies. I don't have 10 days left now in which to submit any new evidence by post. What do you think?!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I do have evidence in her exercise books that her last few pieces of work have all been level 5 (writing tasks)
Good.
and her teacher has also said that she is "borderline" 4a/5c for Maths.
If that's her current standard, it's all right.
Unfortunately they will not be doing any official assessments between now and our appeal, so how do I show that she is now basically level 5 in everything?
Can I get the school to give me a brief letter to that effect, to take with me to the appeal?
You don't have to - if she is predicted level 5s in English & maths, and is currently working at 4c or above.
The Head's letter only states that she is predicted level 5s in everything - it doesn't include sub-levels.
See B11c (sub-levels):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also, I hadn't thought to include her KS1 results (all level 3s). Can I take her Year 2 report to the appeal with me, which gives her SATs results
Yes. Explain to the panel that you thought they might like confirmation of straight 3s at KS1.
Etienne
capers123

Re: What causes some appeals to be unsuccessful?

Post by capers123 »

Etienne wrote:Don't tell an appeal panel "She has a wide range of interests both in and out of school, is very young for the year (August birthday) which I don't believe is fully compensated for by the extra marks given, and was not given external tuition." :lol:
Of course, we (panels) also get offered the arguement that September / October birthday children are unfairly marked down.

Personally I feel awfully sorry for those children born in Feb, as their poor parents have no age-related reason that they didn't pass. The odd thing is that we tend to get appeals from children whose bithday are actually spread throughout the year evenly. I suspect that that is because the weighting for birthdays works just as well (or badly) for everyone. :roll:
Capers
English Emilia

Post by English Emilia »

Thank you Etienne. I am having a final meeting with my Head next week, just to go through everything I have sent / am taking / am planning to say, but just wanted confirmation that I haven't overlooked anything major! Your advice has been invaluable - I can't thank you enough!
English Emilia

Post by English Emilia »

With regard to the age comment, I do appreciate that there are pros and cons to having early/late birthdays. I still feel that the extra marks don't fully compensate for the year's less maturity, and I am convinced that, had my DD been born 2 weeks later - and therefore would have been taking the exam a year later - she would have coped far better with the pressure. However, I accept that I may have felt differently if I'd had a September child who'd also just missed out. I think you're right - the age-standardisation isn't foolproof, but it's probably the fairest method available. I shall still mention it in my appeal though ...... !
English Emilia

Post by English Emilia »

I'm very happy to say that we had our appeal on Monday and had the letter today to say that it had been successful. I'll try to work out how to write up the full report later on, but just wanted to thank you again Etienne for all your advice and support. I can't tell you how much it has helped and has kept me calm throughout the whole traumatic experience! I truly believe that my daughter deserves a Grammar School place, otherwise I would not have gone through with this, but I think our decision to be totally upfront and say that we simply didn't know why she didn't pass - we had no extenuating circumstances and didn't claim to have any - was the right one. We spoke about nerves on the day, her being very young for the year and then said that we hoped our evidence would speak for itself. The panel were lovely and I finally feel that justice has been done. And at the end of the day, although my daughter had to go through the trauma of disappointment with her results, she now knows just how much confidence everyone has in her, has read the lovely comments by her teachers and headteacher and in many ways is able to see this as being ultimately a positive experience. It's been a rollercoaster of emotions for us as parents, but we've got through it and can - hopefully - now move on!
All the very, very best to everyone else going through the same process and, once again, many thanks!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now