11+ Bucks scores of 113/114 - should I appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tee

Re: 11+ Bucks scores of 113/114 - should I appeal?

Post by Tee »

Hello

I have sent some information to the appeals box.

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think it's a good report, Tee, and I hope you found it of interest.

Exceptional ability with verbal comprehension - Isn't this what the 11+ in Bucks is all about?

The extenuating circumstances are helpful - mild learning disability, anxiety levels.

"This shows that in a suitable environment he is able to draw on skills and produce results which clearly confirm that he could cope in a grammar school setting."

I don't think it would be appropriate to ask an EP to change anything, but I would ask him to explain exactly what a 'suitable environment' would be. (An appeal panel might be interested in the answer.)

I can't say whether your academic evidence will be sufficient, because only your particular panel can decide that - but I do think there's some good evidence there for them to consider.
Etienne
Tee

Post by Tee »

Thanks for your feedback Etienne. I was thinking the same thing about the suggestion for 'suitable environment' and will query that with ep. Is there anything that may have improved that statement to support the appeal?

Do you think the panel may see all these issues raised in report as potential problems for performance at GS? How should I address these concerns if that is the case?

I have asked for school books for appeal but school are reluctant to give these. Other than that, the ht is willing to write an additional letter in new year to support ds recent progress in school I.e. that he in booster class for maths, may be sitting higher SATS level paper for year 6.

Not sure what else I can do to give our case a chance??
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Is there anything that may have improved that statement to support the appeal?
"..... clearly confirm that he could cope in a grammar school setting" is the standard sort of language used in an EP report - you're not likely to get anything stronger!
Do you think the panel may see all these issues raised in report as potential problems for performance at GS?
They shouldn't. You can point out that the special needs of bright children tend to get overlooked if they are performing above or well-above average. Now that you have an assessment, some of the recommended adjustments will help with future progress. You will also have to remind the panel of his strong points and potential.
the ht is willing to write an additional letter in new year to support ds recent progress in school I.e. that he in booster class for maths, may be sitting higher SATS level paper for year 6.
Good. It might be worth giving him a copy of the report as a courtesy - to 'keep him informed'.
Not sure what else I can do to give our case a chance??
We can discuss this nearer the hearing ........ :)
Etienne
Tee

Post by Tee »

Etienne

I have sent some information to the appeals box.

T
Tee

Post by Tee »

I have sent the revised version of the report with additional information to the appeals box re 'suitable environment' - this time with my username on it!! Do you think that would suffice for the panel or more specifics needed?

Also the ep has included the FSIQ score which is lower than 90 centile at 82nd centile for ds - I read somewhere on the forum that when discrepancies between WISC test components this is not always calculated. Will the panel question this? Should it be included in the report?

I have had the test analysis through the post today - raw scores 65/66. In the opposites meanings section ds got 1 out of 7 correct which seems to stick out so far. The odd thing is in the first test the first 5 sections he didn't get any answers wrong but then after that it changed.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Tee wrote:I have sent the revised version of the report with additional information to the appeals box re 'suitable environment' - this time with my username on it!! Do you think that would suffice for the panel or more specifics needed?
The clarification is excellent!
Also the ep has included the FSIQ score which is lower than 90 centile at 82nd centile for ds - I read somewhere on the forum that when discrepancies between WISC test components this is not always calculated.
I think this is for situations where working memory/processing speed distort the results. The lowest score here is in fact perceptual reasoning.
Will the panel question this?
I don't see why they should when the basis of your case (as far as the EP report is concerned) is not the FSIQ - but strength in verbal comprehension. With a much lower perceptual reasoning score, it ought to be fairly obvious that the overall score is going to be below the 90th percentile.

A more obvious question (if it occurs to anyone) is why your son is performing better at maths than English.
Should it be included in the report?
The FSIQ is usually included. It's a decision for the EP.

If this is an independent report, it wouldn't be appropriate to try and influence what is included. :)
Etienne
Tee

Post by Tee »

Hello

Would it be possible to get some feedback on ds test analysis if I send it to the appeals box please? I am trying to work out how to use it to support the ep report and the other evidence I'm preparing for the appeal.

Thanks
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Tee

I have looked at the analysis of both papers. These are his errors grouped by the various question types (word codes are the ones where you make up a word from the letters of other words):

Code: Select all

Paper 1    Paper 2
Codes	      1	     1
Word Codes    1	     0
Maths	      2	     1
Logic	      1	     0
Vocab	     10	    15
I am afraid the problem is obvious - it is Vocab every time - everything else was very sound. In particular, he fell apart on Opposite Meanings and Same Meanings, with only 3/14 correct.

I suspect that the bottom line is that your son fell for the tricks that are put in to the 11+ to catch out the unwary, and his tendency not to check his work will not have helped.

I think it is worth giving the EP a call to discuss this with him because it is completely at odds with the scores for high phonological processing. Depending on what he says, you might ask for a further short commentary from him to add to your appeal.
Tee

Post by Tee »

Thank you Sally-Anne for your help. When I looked at the test analysis I was trying to tie it in with the ep report and it was confusing me. I will speak to the ep. Could this become a problem at the appeal?

T
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now