Remarking papers

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
guest1

Remarking papers

Post by guest1 »

Can someone request remark of papers after unsuccessful appeals in Bucks and does any one know how to go about it?
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

Dear Guest 1,

You might want to have a look at the topic 'Re-marking Papers' under the appeals section.

Seems you just write in and request a remark giving your child's details. Some areas appear to charge around £10 for this and some areas don't charge at all. If there is a charge they will certainly let you know!

Wish you well.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Dear Guest 1

It is a little "cart before the horse", but I see no reason why not. Bear in mind that the equipment used to mark the papers is very sophisticated, and re-marks very rarely produce a change in the final result.

Whether it is worth doing will perhaps depend on how close the result was. If it was 120, and the re-mark produced 1 extra mark, then it would be worthwhile, of course.

However, if it was a lower score, the chances of a remark getting you up to 121 would be much slimmer, and that will just leave you in "no man's land", as you have already been to appeal.

You could apply for a further appeal hearing if "significant new evidence" came to light that was not presented at the original hearing, but I have no idea how many extra marks would really constitute "significant evidence". I doubt that an increase from 116 to 117, for example, would justify a new hearing.

At the same time as requesting the re-mark I would also request the transcript of the appeal hearing, if you have not already done so, to see whether one or two additional marks would have swayed the panel's verdict.

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sally-Anne is right - the equipment and systems are very sophisticated, and the chances of a re-mark producing a higher score are very, very slim.

My memory is beginning to fade :( , but during my time in appeals I think I became aware of two separate instances when results issued by NFER were found to be lower than they should have been. They involved batches of children (5-10?) and the extraordinary thing is that the error was typically something like 5-8 standardised points. I'm not sure what had gone wrong - it could have been an error in the standardisation. As far as I can recall, the re-mark was initiated when a school became suspicious about some of their results.

I don't wish to raise hopes unrealistically. These were very unusual occurrences - but they show that mistakes are not impossible.
Etienne
guest1

Post by guest1 »

Thank you for your reply. I didn't know we could request a remark until two days ago otherwise I would have done this first before we had the Bucks appeal.

As for the scores, my child scores 120 in Bucks and unsuccessful appeal and 107 in Berks, appeal to be heard next week and next month. So I thought I will request remark done, if it is not too late especially when she has been allocated the school that we have both been dreading and it is now looking like there is nothing we can do about it

Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

What was the pass mark for Bucks and Berks?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest 1

I think it's worth a shot on 120 - that elusive single mark could just turn up. Don't pin your hopes on it though.

Have you considered the 12+? With a score of 120 from the 11+ she should have a pretty good chance on the 12+, as it is rumoured to be easier. The children are a year older and the standardisation is against a national sample, which helps to increase the marks. Obviously there is no guarantee of a place, but if you live reasonably close to a GS then you should be in with a good chance.

There's a helpful thread on the 12+ on the Bucks section that you might like to look at.

Sally-Anne

P.S. Appeal Mum - the pass mark for Bucks is 121, top mark is 141. Can't remember for Berks, but someone will be along soon to tell you, I'm sure!
guest1

Post by guest1 »

Sally Ann - your words are very encouraging and thank you. I am considering the 12+ too, once I finish with the 11+ and allocation.

Appeal Mum - the pass mark for Berks is 111(average for all 3 papers i.e vr, nvr and Maths. Hope that helps
diz

remaking of maths paper

Post by diz »

Hi Ettiene

I wonder if you could advise us on something - not strictly remarking issue but our son missed the maths pass by 2 marks and found the time constraint difficult. We wanted to see if he had maybe missed some marks by guessing the last few questions, and so contacted Kent LEA to ask if he has shown his workings at end of paper. They said that the paper showing the workings out was kept seperately and had now been thrown away. If this was the case how could any maths papers be remarked - as I thought that the workings contributed to the overall mark ie. knew how to do long divison but made a mistake at the end - that sort of thing. If the workings out weren't taking out then maybe we made a mistake in telling our son to make sure he included his workings even for questions he thought he could do in his head! We are bit confused as every time we think we understand how the tests are marked we get a new bit of information.
Bexley

Re: remaking of maths paper

Post by Bexley »

diz wrote: They said that the paper showing the workings out was kept seperately and had now been thrown away. If this was the case how could any maths papers be remarked - as I thought that the workings contributed to the overall mark ie. knew how to do long divison but made a mistake at the end - that sort of thing. If the workings out weren't taking out then maybe we made a mistake in telling our son to make sure he included his workings even for questions he thought he could do in his head! We are bit confused as every time we think we understand how the tests are marked we get a new bit of information.

This does apply to some SATS questions, where you will sometimes get one mark for the method shown and one for the right answer, but obviously this has to be an answer that is worth 2 marks, and it is made very clear that the working should be shown.

As far as I'm aware, all eleven plus questions are worth one mark only, so there is no scope for giving marks for working, only for the right answer.