Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:23 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:29 pm
Posts: 5
I am about to have my son's appeal for refusal to test the 12+. He got 119 in his 11+, we appealed and failed even though we had a raft of extenuating factors. In his SATS he achieved Level 5 Maths and Science, Level 5 Reading and Level 4 Writing giving an overall Level 4. We have since discovered following assessment that he is Dyslexic and can now access additional time in exams and the use of a computer for his work.

I am about to submit my evidence to county. How much bearing should I place on the fact that he is Dyslexic. Interestingly in his mock SATs he achieved a clear level 5 getting 77 points (Level 5 threshold is 67 and above).

IF, we are successful at appeal and he can sit the 12+, is there any time allowance for Dyslexics and if so how do you go about obtaining them. He would not be sitting the 12+ through his school so cannot go to them to sort out all necessary paperwork to apply for access arrangements.

Any help from anyone would be much appreciated.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 8200
Location: Buckinghamshire
Hi hayley, and welcome!

hayleyfarrelly wrote:
He got 119 in his 11+, we appealed and failed even though we had a raft of extenuating factors. In his SATS he achieved Level 5 Maths and Science, Level 5 Reading and Level 4 Writing giving an overall Level 4. We have since discovered following assessment that he is Dyslexic and can now access additional time in exams and the use of a computer for his work.
Most of that is relevant, but keep it brief. Do not go into the details of the non-qualification appeal other than to state his 11+ score. If the panel want any further information about the previous appeal they will ask for it, but I very much doubt that they will.

If you can get any up to date information from his current school on levels he is working at, that would be helpful, but time is obviously very tight. You can submit small amounts of evidence on the day of the hearing - a single sheet, with a copy for each person (5 copies in all) so if the schools go back before your hearing, it might be worth seeing what they have to offer.

Quote:
How much bearing should I place on the fact that he is Dyslexic.
It is clearly relevant, so you should enclose a copy of the assesment and simply state as you have done here - that dyslexia has been diagnosed and he now has EAA in place and a laptop.

Quote:
Interestingly in his mock SATs he achieved a clear level 5 getting 77 points (Level 5 threshold is 67 and above).
Do you have evidence of that from his school? If so, you should submit it. Without firm evidence it is still possible to mention it briefly, and I think a panel would take you at your word: "I am afraid I cannot prove that to you because he has since changed schools, but I respectfully ask you to take my word for it."

Quote:
IF, we are successful at appeal and he can sit the 12+, is there any time allowance for Dyslexics and if so how do you go about obtaining them. He would not be sitting the 12+ through his school so cannot go to them to sort out all necessary paperwork to apply for access arrangements.
You still need to approach his current school - details are here: http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/schools/a ... _2012.page?

I should warn you that it is very difficult to get extra time in Bucks, but that should not deter you from at least trying. With time being tight you need to act very fast in January - assuming your appeal is successful, of course.

It does seem like a reasonable case, and panel members can tend to take the view "let the test decide", so the success rate for these appeals is rather higher than for other types of appeal in Bucks.

Sally-Anne


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 11936
The refusal to test is automatic because your child did not get level 5 in the KS2 tests in English and Maths. Do you have the marks in the test? If not the Secondary school should have this - a level 5a in Maths would add to the evidence or the English being near the cut-off e.g. a high 4a. What were the teacher levels - do you have work levelled at level 5 from Primary?

Hopefully you have some current levels from current school to back up academic evidence. I have heard of a few people getting extra time for 12+ but only 5 or 6 minutes not the 25% recommended by an EP/statement.

However, as S-A says success rates are much higher than other appeals - the recent diagnosis of dyslexia is clearly strong evidence.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jojo2305 and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016